chapter 24: I Hope So

After Wu Ruo ordered Shiyi to keep an eye on Ruan Zhizheng, he came to the hall to have breakfast but saw Guan Tong sighing by the dinner table.

“Mother, what’s the matter with you?” Wu Ruo asked as he sat down next to her.

Guan Tong came to senses and picked up her chopsticks, “I am all right. Have breakfast.”

Wu Ruo didn’t think she looked like she was all right, “where are father and brother?”

“Zhu and Xi are off to school and your father…” Guan Tong sighed, “he didn’t have appetite to have breakfast. So he went to the study.”

“Is there something wrong? What makes him lose appetite?”

Guan Tong opened her mouth but said nothing.

“Mother, please tell me the truth. You are making me feel even worse.”

Guan Tong sighed, “it’s nothing big. This morning your father and your uncle went to your grandfather for a meeting. And he mentioned to your uncle that he wanted the weapons back but your uncle told him that they need them for a longer while since that your father couldn’t use them right now.”

When they borrowed the weapons, they promised that they would return in a couple of days. But now a couple of months had passed. They didn’t even mention to return them at all. Apparently, they didn’t want to return them forever.

Wu Ruo had anticipated this and touched Guan Tong’s hand, “mother, don’t worry. They will return them.”

“I hope so.”

Wu Ruo picked his chopsticks and picked a piece of taro cake, “mother, eat something.”

“Mm.”

After they had breakfast, Wu Ruo took a few dishes of cakes to the study for his father. He was relieved to see that Wu Qianqing was not depressed as he imagined before, “father, have you found the medicinal materials yet?”

Wu Qianqing put down the book and said, “yes, I have. When are we going to start taking herbal bath?”

“It would be better after everyone falls asleep at night.” Wu Ruo gave it a thought and continued, “we still need a big iron pot that can fit you so that you can soak into it while it is heated on a stove.”

“Ok. I will ask Wu Xu to prepare for it.” Wu Qianqing stood up and sat down next to Wu Ruo, “Ruo, does Xuanyi know that you slept over here? And why are Wu Da and Wu Xiao not be with you?”

“Xuanyi has been out of town since the day before yesterday and he won’t be back in a few days. So I decided to stay here for a couple of days. Wu Da and Wu Xiao are going to get married. They are preparing their weddings.”

“Yes. They are old enough to get married. You should send generous gifts to them. After all, they have waited on you for so many years.” Wu Da and Wu Xiao were servants. Therefore, Wu Qianqing didn’t ask much, “right. When I got back this morning, I heard about Zhizheng. How is he right now?”

Wu Ruo sighed, “his two servants died. And he got beaten up. Now he locked himself up and shut me out.”

Wu Qianqing frowned, “I have a feeling that someone is plotting to hurt Zhizheng. Ruo, since you are a close friend of his. You’d better watch out because I am worried that the man who means to hurt him might hurt you too.”

Wu Ruo skipped a heartbeat and asked, “father, what makes you think that someone is going to hurt him?”

“They all got drunk last night. How is it possible that Zhizheng’s servants go to Shuli Yard in that condition? And how could it possible that they could go in Shuli Yard with someone guarding the gate? Obviously, it was a set-up.” Wu Qianqing narrowed his eyes, “my guess is that they were misguided by someone’s magic on their way to the side door, or they were in a formation that enabled them to get into Shuli Yard without being found by the guards.”

“…” Wu Ruo.

His father was smart.

Wu Qianqing smiled suddenly, “right. Anrun, your elder uncle’s second son is about to get married.”

Wu Ruo frowned and thought of the time when Wu Anrun had been about to get married in last life, and had a complicated smile, “really? Then I’d better send a great congratulations to my cousin.”