chapter 45: The worst Omen ever

After inviting the god and posting the question, if the three incense sticks in the furnace finished burning, it meant that the next year will have a good harvest and everything would be blessed. If the incense sticks were broken, it meant a disaster to come.

Over a decade ago, there was a time one incense stick was broken when Wu Bufang inquired the god. Later in that year, the entire Gaoling City and towns miles around suffered from drought, water loss and soil erosion, plant death, and hotter summer than ever. Because of no rain in that year, locusts attacked the area and especially it happened to be the time that the Gate of Hell was open, ghosts rushed into human world and made human beings suffer from all miserable pains.

With only one broken incense stick that year, hundreds of thousands of people died. But today three incense sticks were broken. One could imagine what a disaster that would be waiting ahead.

People all panicked.

Wu Ruo frowned at the three broken incense sticks.

He hadn’t come to Xiangpu Temple in his last life, but he had never heard that if any of the incense sticks had been broken when someone was inquiring the god, the following year would be disastrous.

Wu Bufang looked terrible. He hurriedly asked Elder Rong and Elder Xian who knew the art of divination to use divination.

The two elders went up to the altar and took out their magical tools for divination.

All the people looked at them nervously and didn’t dare to make a single sound to disturb the elders.

About half an hour later, the elders finally finished their protocols.

Wu Bufang asked with a low voice since the elders didn’t look good, “Say something nice to pacify the folks and we can talk about it later when we are back.”

Elder Rong took a deep breath and said to the folks, “Don’t panic. God’s answer to the question has nothing to do with civilians of Gaoling Town. There is nothing to worry about. Next year will be as safe as before.”

The civilians were relieved a bit but still on tenterhooks.

Wu Bufang declared the end of the ritual and dismissed the crowd.

The elders couldn’t wait to discuss about the result of the divination before they returned to Wu Mansion.

“Chief, bad news.” Elder Xian said.

“All three incense sticks were broken. How can it ever be good news?” Wu Bufang sighed, “Elder Rong, what did you get from the divination?”

“It is true that the question has nothing to do with civilians in the town. But the ill omen aims at us, to Wu family.” Elder Rong frowned.

“That’s what I got too.” Elder Xian sighed.

“What?!” Since it was about Wu family, Wu Bufang became anxious, “Did you foresee what would happen?”

Elder Rong exchanged an eye contact with Elder Xian and shook his head, “I only could foresee that it is about Wu family but couldn’t tell what it is about.”

“What about you? What did you get?” Wu Bufang asked Elder Rong eagerly.

“I have spent too much of my spiritual power and longevity on the divination but all I got is that Wu family will encounter an unavoidable disaster and even the immediate family of Wu Clan in the imperial capital will be involved.” Elder Xian said.

The art of divination sometimes not only required spiritual power but also sacrifice of luck and longevity as it enabled the diviners to foresee the future. This was why very few people chose to learn the art of divination.

“Is there any way we can stop it?” Wu Bufang was shocked.

Elder Xian sighed and said nothing.

“There is no way to stop it with what we have for now. But the Prime Minister is different. His power is stronger than anyone of us. If we report to him about this, he might know how to solve this problem.”

Speaking of Wu Chenzi, Wu Bufang was relieved. He scanned all the offspring in the yard and said, “Let’s go home first.”