chapter 159: The Prime minister's Birthday Banquet (1)

Wu Chenliu had already learned that it was Wu Chenzi’s birthday the day after tomorrow. Therefore, he told Wu Xi to visit him the next day after the birthday banquet.

Wu Qianqing and Guan Tong saw him out and still couldn’t believe it actually happened. They felt they were in a dream and finally came back to senses till dinner time, “Ruo, did you already anticipate that Xi would learn from him?”

“It’s a heaven’s arrangement that we cannot tell.” Wu Ruo smiled.

Now that Wu Chenliu took Wu Xi as his pupil instead of Wu Xi, he would see if Wu Yu would turn out to be as outstanding and promising among all others as he had in last life.

Wu Qianqing and Guan Tong were surprised and assumed that it might be result of Hei Xin’s divination. Both of them gave Hei Xin a grateful look.

Hei Xin, who was serving food, was so confused by their look.

Wu Ruo didn’t plan to explain anything to correct the misleading information.

Two days later, it was Wu Chenzi’s birthday. As a tradition of Wu family ruled, when it came to a prestigious elder’s birthday, every family member had to pay worship to the god and prey for the birthday senior in the main temple of the Wu family. As a member of Wu family, Wu Ruo and his family were no exceptions. Therefore, they got up early and got everything ready to make it to the main temple of Wu family before five in the morning.

The main temple was located on a small hillside on the outskirts of the Imperial City. Behind it was a big mountain, flanked by a winding river to the left and a lush forest to the right. The main gate faced the vast imperial capital. It was basically a perfect place collecting all fortunes and locations.

Before five, there had parked countless carriages under the foot of the hillside.

A horde of Wu family members walked up to the temple on the hilltop. Since the gate was not open yet, they had to wait outside. Everyone wore nice and luscious dresses and expensive jewelries as though they were competing with each other.

As what the Wu family in Gaoling town did, they stood in groups according to their own courtyards. And the more distant family members, the further they stood from the main gate, leaving more space for the immediate families.

Wu Ruo and the family walked to a corner, trying not to attract any attention. They tried not to speak as much as possible so as to avoid becoming an attack target.

Wu Qianqing had a quick scan at the crowd and felt upset. He didn’t feel the hospitality of Wu family. He felt insidious danger or a huge trap that awaited ahead.

Guan Tong and Wu Xi stood next to each other, being quiet.

Hei Xuan held Wu Ruo’s hand and Wu Ruo wrote a character on his palm so that Hei Xuanyi could guess what it was. Apparently, the ritual was extremely boring.

Hei Xuanyi quickly recognized the character he wrote and whispered into his ear, “it’s Yi.”

His breath blew onto Wu Ruo’s ear. Very soon, he blushed and his cheek turned pink.

Hei Xuanyi smiled slightly and tucked Wu Ruo’s hair behind the ear, not caring anyone else at all.

Guan Tong and Wu Xi chuckled as they showed affection in public.

“Qianqing.” Someone called.

They followed the voice and looked over. It was Wu Bufang along with Yao Shuyuan.

Wu Qianqing saluted to them, “grandfather, grandmother.”

Wu Ruo and the rest also saluted to Wu Bufang.

“So it’s really you. That’s wonderful! I couldn’t believe it when I first heard that you are here and also get invited to the birthday banquet.” Wu Bufang was delighted.

Then he put away his smile as he remembered what happened back in Gaoling town, “is it true the ghosts attacked the Gaoling town?”

There was sadness in Wu Qianqing’s eyes, “it is real.”

Wu Bufang said in sorrow, “it is the worst sign. Even the citizens were involved.”

Yao Shuyuan felt sad too. Her children and grandchildren died all in one day. How could she not be sad? When she received the news, she passed away in sorrow.

Since it was Wu Chenzi’s birthday, not the best time to mourn for the dead. Wu Bufang put away the sorrow and asked Wu Qianqing curiously, “how did you get out of the city?”

Without telling him the real story, Wu Qianqing explained, “we had a plan to come here to look for a school for Xi before the attack. The ghosts happened to show up right after we went out of the city.”

“You are lucky to leave before that.” Yao Shuyuan choked.

“I’ve sent people to check if there are still survivors in the city.” Wu Bufang said, frowning.

Other than Wu Qianqing and his small family, only those who went out for training survived. The Wu family in Gaoling town was literally demolished.

Yao Shuyuan took out a silk handkerchief from her sleeve and wiped off the tears that were about to fall. She asked with a husky voice, “Qianqing, where are you staying right now?”

Wu Qianqing said, looking at Hei Xuanyi, “we are staying at the house Xuanyi bought.”