chapter 53: You've Gone too Far

“Since it’s about Ruo’s betrothal presents, it should be a private business of Qian Qing, Qianbin and Qiantong, and Steward Hei. Qianli and I are not in the right position to meddle. We should leave you to it.” Wu Qianjing said in a low voice as everyone was looking terrible.

He was fully aware that it was impossible to keep the betrothal presents thing below the table anymore. And it happened so suddenly that he needed to get out of here as soon as possible and found himself a scapegoat.

“My lord, I hope you wouldn’t mind for me to finish the talking first.” Hei Xin stopped him.

Wu Ruo sneered in his mind. Wu Qianjing really thought they were fools. How could they not know why he left so eagerly?

“I wonder what else you would like to talk about.” Wu Qianjing acted he was calm but his heart was already racing like beating a drum.

“Let’s start from why I came here to meet the chief and all of you here.” Hei Xin continued, looking at him, “I still remember that we delivered as many as 30 carriages of betrothal presents when we followed Chief Wu to Gaoling Town. Chief Wu and the Prime Minister knew that. On the present-giving day, all the citizens in the town witnessed the 30 carriages being sent into Wu family and accepted by Lord Wu Qianjing and Lord Wu Qianli from South Courtyard. You told us that our in-laws had gone out and you received the presents on behalf of them. But just now, when I learned that our in-laws have no idea of Corpse Bone Dragon Nail and Ghost Flute at all, I asked him to show me the present list. You know what I found? A large amount of the betrothal presents is missing.”

He stared at Wu Qianjing and Wu Qianli with his cold sharp eyes, “Can you explain what was going on?”

Wu Qianjing and Wu Qianli avoided his stare out of guilt and was thinking of an excuse when Wu Qianqing said coldly, “On that day, Qianjing and Qianli took care of the entire thing. And they told me that the Hei family refused to deliver the betrothal presents into my yard.”

At that time, he thought the Hei family disliked his son, and he was quite mad at them. It turned out that his own family was behind all of this.

Wu Qianjing and Wu Qianli were too ashamed to look at Wu Qianqing and their wives also lowered their heads out of embarrassment.

Guan Tong usual mild face also showed great anger, “Steward Hei said they sent 30 carriages of betrothal gifts, but we only received 12.”

The funny thing was Wu Qianjing’s butler explained to them that 12 was an auspicious number.

Wu Ruo put up a shocking face as he had no idea of all this at all, “how, how is that even possible? Where are the rest 18 carriages of presents?”

The whole hall went into short silence.

“It is a total big insult. We specifically demanded to send them to Shuqing Yard, but Lord Qianjing and Lord Qianli stopped us again and again. We didn’t break in because we didn’t want to cause any trouble for both families. But it was not appropriate to take all the gifts back. Therefore, we left the gifts with Lord Qianjing and Lord Qianli.” Hei Xin was genuinely mad this time, “More than that, there are some gifts missing, and there are some even being replaced.”

He took out the gift list he had and handed it to Wu Qianqing, “My lord, this is the original gift list. The one you asked the butler to show me is not the one I wrote at all.”

Wu Qianqing took over the 10 feet long list and read it. His hands were shaking because of extreme anger, “This is unbelievable! You’ve gone too far!”