chapter 165: The Prime Minister's Birthday Banquet (7)

As soon as Wu Ruo was about to fall to the ground, he subconsciously sought for something in handy for help. Unfortunately, that thing was broken before he finally stabilized his body and fell to the ground.

For that moment, the entire world was quiet.

Wu Ruo got back on feet, bearing the pain in mind. He had a look at his peeled skin in hand and also a jade pendant in it. it was Nine-Palace Dragon Jade Pendant, the same jade pendant Ling Mohan wore. It was a dragon-shaped yellow jade pendant and on the scale of the dragon were eight small yellow dragons, which were finely carved, while the string to attach it was broken by Wu Ruo.

He looked up at Ling Mohan’s cold eyes.

Wu Qianqing and Guan Tong tried very hard to ask for mercy for Wu Ruo but they got blocked by the people in front of them. They didn’t dare to shout out loud because it might upset the emperor.

Hei Xuanyi squinted and patted Wu Qianqing on the shoulder, comforting them to calm down and wait.

“Your highness, sorry for breaking the string. I didn’t mean it. Please forgive me. And allow me to repair it and give it back in a few days.” Wu Ruo suggested politely with dignity while he gave a quick look at Wu Weixue who was helping the imperial concubine. In her eyes, there was contempt. She had tried twice to hurt Wu Ruo’s family but both failed. Now she would love to see how he would get away with it.

Everyone knew that the crown prince was on the opposite to the Wu family in the imperial city. He was desperate to seize every possible chance to destroy Wu family. If he couldn’t do that to the entire family, he would take it out on individuals. Now it was a great chance that the crown prince would never want to miss.

As long as Wu Ruo was dead, she would have a better chance to conquer Hei Xuanyi.

Ling Mohan was surprised as he recognized Wu Ruo’s voice. He sounded like the man who save him. But it was impossible. The man saved him was fat and couldn’t lose so much weight in such a short time. and even if he did, he shouldn’t be looking this beautiful.

He took the pendant back and roared, “do you know that this jade is bequeathed from my royal grandpa? Your life is nothing compared to a string. Guards, take him down.”

Two guards came up and held Wu Ruo’s arms.

Hei Xuanyi stared coldly at those two guards.

Wu Bufang and Yao Shuyuan were also anxious about Wu Ruo not because they were worried about Wu Ruo’s life but they were concerned if they or anyone else of the Wu family in Gaoling town would be involved because of him.

The Emperor frowned and was happy to see death on Wu Chenzi’s birthday. He would like to spare the man’s life in sake of Wu Chenzi. Besides, the jade pendant was fine, except for the string which could be fixed.

Wu Chenzi read the Emperor’s mind as he had worked for the Emperor for years. But thinking of what his precious granddaughter told him, he said, “your highness, please for this junior’s mistake.”

As far as he knew about Ling Mohan, chances were that Ling Mohan would punish the man if he begged for mercy himself.

Ling Mohan squinted him, “he is one of your family?”

“Yes.”

Ling Mohan asked again, “but how can I never see him before?”

With that beautiful face, he could never forget his name once he had met him. He was sure that he was not one of the Wu family in Imperial City.

“I have never seen him before. I suppose he is from sideline family.” Wu Chenzi said.

Ling Mohan squinted, “Oh? Sideline?”

Wu Weixue gave a housekeeper a signal and the housekeeper stepped out and said, “your highness, he is from Wu family in Gaoling town. His name is Wu Ruo. He comes here to give birthday wishes.”

“Wu Ruo from Gaoling town?” Ling Mohan couldn’t believe it,

“At your service.” Wu Ruo answered.

“…” Ling Mohan.

He was pretty sure he was the person who once save him.

At the moment, the emperor’s concubine said, “didn’t all citizens in Gaoling town die?”

“Your highness, it’s true the city was slaughtered by ghosts.” The housekeeper answered.

“How did they get away with it?” The imperial concubine asked.

“About that, Wu Ruo and his family did a disgusting thing. when the ghosts attacked the city, the family happened to leave the city. Once they got away, they had never gone back to the city. They just went all the way to the Imperial City and don’t care about the citizens at all or even their own families. What they did was cold-hearted.” The housekeeper said.

Despite that Wu Qianqing was not proud of what they did, he inhaled because he only told Wu Bufang that they left the city on the same day the ghosts attacked the city. How could the housekeeper know that?

He looked at Wu Bufang who happened to look over and look away once their eyes met.

Now it was clear. Wu Bufang told the housekeeper. Wu Qianqing’s heart sunk.

“They are disgusting,” A Wu family said angrily, “they are heartless. How could they not save their families? That man is so beautiful but so ugly deep inside.”

Someone was so outraged to throw a rock at Wu Ruo. Wu Ruo’s head started to bleed.

Wu Ruo didn’t pay attention to the blood.

Hei Xuanyi shot a hard stare at that man.

Wu Qianqing would have rushed out if it were not for Hei Xuanyi who had stopped him.

Wu Xi and Guan Tong were so angry and their eyes turned red.

“Really?” Wu Chenzi was surprised.

“Your excellency, we just know the news. otherwise, we wouldn’t invite them to your birthday banquet. We thought to report to you after the banquet but now this happens.”