chapter 148: Ghosts Are Coming (2)

Eggie opened the curtain out of curiosity. He giggled and launched a punch at a ghost's chest.

The red-eyed ghost threw a sharp eye at him. The others in the carriage were startled and pulled Eggie backward to protect him.

Wu Xi pinched Eggie's cheek, "you are so bold."

"There is nothing he dares not to do." Jixi sneered.

There was nothing like danger in Eggie's eyes.

As Wu Xi was going to say something, she heard something strange, "are you listening to this too?"

Everyone looked at her.

"I heard a cry for help."

Everyone had been silent for a while. Except for Guan Tong, all other with spiritual power heard the cry for help and the last screams before being killed. Needless to have a look, the town was being slaughtered.

Wu Xi hugged Guan Tong.

"Have a snap." Guan Tong patted her on the back.

"Mm." Wu Xi didn't want to hear any sound. She closed her eyes. So did the others.

No one had ever spoke ever since.

It was until midnight they arrived at a small town for a stopover at an inn.

Once they walked into the inn, someone was discussing, "I heard that Gaoling town is attacked by thousands of ghosts. Thousands of citizens died in one afternoon."

"Thousands of ghosts? Where did you learn that?"

"A cultivator told me. He happened to pass by Gaoling town at that time. He told me that the sky suddenly became dark around one o'clock in the afternoon. Then thousands of ghosts appeared. He was so scared that he ran away. He also heard a lot of painful screams later. But he was not clear if what exactly happened. But he was sure that the entire town was dead."

The audience all gasped, "aren't they have cultivators in the town? I heard that Wu family is awesome. Can't they defeat those ghosts?"

"Those ghosts are way powerful than the cultivators." The man sighed, "it is a town with a population of over 300,000. Now it's gone. For so many years since I was born, I only heard that ten thousand came out on the Ghost Festival on July 14. But I have never heard that tens of thousands of ghosts attack a town and slaughter the town."

Wu Qianqing sighed sadly.

"Do you need to go back to have a look? The person who summoned the ghosts must have sent them back. It's pretty safe to go back now." Guan Tong whispered.

Wu Qianqing gave it a thought and shook his head.

It was in vain to go back now. He should feel lucky that he listened to Wu Ruo who persuaded him to move the entire family to imperial town. Otherwise, his wife and his daughter would have been killed by now.

"Sir, Ma'am, your room is ready." Hei Gan came over and said.

Wu Qianqing nodded and found that Hei Xuanyi and Hei Xuantang were not there with them, "where are Xuanyi and Xuantang?"

"They have gone to the imperial town to make arrangements for your arrival." Hei Gan lied.

Wu Qianqing doubted it but he couldn't figure out why, still said, "thank them for their consideration."

Hei Gan smiled slightly and said nothing.

At night, Wu Ruo, Eggie and Jixi shared a room. While no one was around, Wu Ruo asked Jixi, "what's All Ghosts Out at Night?"

Jixi who was mediating on the table glanced him, "It's actually All Ghosts Out for a Fest, if you mean. It is a secret skill that you human created. The practitioner can call out thousands of ghosts to kill all creatures. But what I learn is that the skill disappeared a thousand years ago. I don't know why. But what you just saw was nothing big. The real Fest should much more horrific. I personally haven't seen it. But when my people told me about it, they were mortified."

"Do you know which clan this secret comes from?" Wu Ruo asked.

"I don't know. It's a thousand years. The legend goes wilder and further away from the real truth. Now we only know its existence. Only our seniors know how magnificent it is. But if you really want to know, you can ask your mother. She seems to know more about it."

"My mother..." Wu Ruo frowned and said honestly, "she won't tell me because she swore to a vow that she wouldn't say anything about her clan."

Wu Xi once asked her the question back in the carriage and she chose not to tell. Obviously, she couldn't tell anyone.

Perhaps this was something about her clan? But she didn't look like it. Perhaps the skill was a taboo.

Jixi was not interested in Wu Ruo's family affair. So he didn't ask more questions.

Wu Ruo also took the chance to meditate to improve his spiritual power. The Imperial Town was full of cultivators who were as powerful as Wu Bufang. Even worse, Wu Bufang was only below the average. Therefore, as weak as he was, he could be killed so easily by a random guy's finger. Besides, he had to be much more careful about every move he made in the Imperial Town as the people there were way smarter than Wu family.

Eggie might be the only one who had a nice and tight sleep at night because the others were still haunted by the nightmare of dreaming the entire Gaoling town were slaughtered by the ghosts. They stayed up all night and started to go to bed at dawn. But it was almost when they had to get up to leave for the Imperial Town.

It was a rainy season. The heavy rain brought everyone down and it was until half a month later when they finally arrived at Imperial Town that their mood was finally lightened up.