chapter 91: Hungry Ghost Festival (3)

Hei Xuanyi glanced at Wu Sheng and his people and then gave Hei Gan a signal.

Hei Gan got the hint and nodded. He gave a gold leaf to Shiyuan and said, “Go buy an ice cart for every one of us.”

“Yes.” Shiyuan took the gold leaf and bought 30 ice carts from the vendor, and each of them had one ice cart now. The carts the vendor sold were very simple, more of sled with a chair on it and two poles on both sides. Players had to use the poles to slide forward.

Hei Gan only simply said, “Take your time. Have fun.”

The poke-faced guards even had a rare smile when they received the ice carts of their own.

There was still some time before the race. Players started to do some warm-up excises.

The giant ice-cart Hei Xin made had three seats. Eggie sat in the front, Wu Ruo in the middle as he was heavy and Hei Xuanyi in the back. They gave it a try and had a good feeling about it. The main reason was that Eggie and Hei Xuanyi were pretty strong and perfect at team working, one steering in the front while the other driving with power, leaving the one in the middle to do nothing but enjoy the fun.

Before long, the game began.

All the ice carts lined up at the start line.

The rules of the game were very simple. Players were not allowed to use spiritual power or arts. They could only use their sleds. They could join as individuals or teams. But teams with two or more players were only allowed to take one ice-cart. But usually, one player on one cart would be faster and easier to steer the cart because the player didn’t have to cooperate with others. Therefore, there was no other teams like Wu Ruo who still had 2 other partners.

The finishing line was the other side of the river bank, about 600 meters away. There were three flags at the finishing line. Whoever got the flags consequently would be the top three winners of the game.

And they would be given rewards. The first place would be rewarded five small ingots of gold, the second three ingots, and the third one. Although the winning prize was way less than Wu Ruo and others’ bet, it was quite a fortune for ordinary people. Therefore, everyone who joined the competition aimed to win the gold. And the gold was sponsored by one rich businessman who liked doing charity.

There were at least a thousand of players in the game. Wu Ruo, Wu Sheng and his people decided to stick with the event rules. Whoever got the flag first would be the winner.

Wu Ruo gave a look at Wu Sheng and his people and found that a few Wu family members also joined them.

The referee was a woman. On her counting of three, everyone flocked out like a swarm of bees toward the flag. However, ordinary citizens were no match of those cultivators. Even without the use of spiritual power or arts, the cultivators were way more physically stronger than them as they had exercised for ages.

Very soon, the ordinary citizens were left far behind. Most of them gave up for knowing that it would be possible to catch up, and returned to the starting line when they made it to the half way.

At first, Wu Ruo tried to paddle for a bit and later realized that the cart shot very fast with or without his help. Therefore, he just put the poles away, tightened his cloak and enjoyed the river view.

Bang! Suddenly, the ice cart was bumped and spun a few rounds quickly on the ice like a peg-top.

Wu Ruo hurriedly held the rails on both sides to hold his body steady.

Wu Sheng and his team whished by like a wind.

“Father, hurry up. They already exceeded us.” Eggie shouted anxiously.

“Take it easy.” Hei Xuanyi said unhurriedly.

Before his voice had died away, the guards from Hei family already rushed forward and got tangled with Wu Sheng’s ice cart.

Hei Xuanyi then started the cart and caught up.

Then someone tried to bump towards them again.

How could Hei Xuanyi allow them to succeed again? The moment they nearly bumped into their ice cart, they instantly dodged.

It was Wu Sheng’s younger brother’s friends who tried to bump into them. Wu Ruo’s eyes got sharp. He picked up the poles and inserted them under their ice cart when they got close again. In a split second, their ice car was overturned and they all got thrown out.

“Daddy, well done.” Eggie cheered.

Wu Ruo’s lips curved upward.

Soon, they caught up with Wu Sheng.

When Wu Ruo passed Wu Sheng, he said with a smile, “Sheng, excuse us.”

Wu Sheng and Wu Xia who were still struggling to fight against Hei Xuanyi’s guards and when they saw Wu Ruo doing nothing on the cart, they were so irritated.

“Father, hurry up. Shake them off.” Eggie shouted with great excitement.

Hei Xuanyi sped up and shot out like an arrow. Swoosh! Very quickly, Wu Sheng was already way behind them. Only Eggie’s laughter could be heard thanks to the wind.