chapter 57: So It's Him!

After Wu Ruo and others walked far away, Wu Yanlan asked the servant who led the way to Bujin Yard, “who is that big fat man?”

“He is Wu Ruo, youngest son of third master of South Courtyard.” The servant answered respectfully.

“So it’s him.” Wu Yanlan grinned.

As a member of the immediate family of Wu Clan, there was no way he would have heard of the name of Wu Ruo, a nobody. But recently, his father told him that a man from Hei family who once saved his great-grandfather’s life came to his aunt to seek a marriage. However, his great-grandfather left the whole thing to one of the Wu clan’s collateral branch because the man looked like a bit evil and too hideous. But as the man was only into men, the chief of the branch family arranged a man called Wu Ruo who had no spiritual power at all to the man from Hei family. That was the closure of the story. But he didn’t expect it would be this fat.

“Have you heard that Master Qianjing, Qianli, Qianbin and Qiantong from South Courtyard stole the betrothal presents that Hei family has sent?” A voice then was heard on the other side of the wall.

Wu Yanlan slowed down when he heard “Hei family” and raised his hand to stop the servant shouting.

“Yes, I have. It has been out there all over the city. The chief meant to press it down, but…Alas… Master Qianqing from South Courtyard is such a poor man. His spiritual land was destroyed half a year ago and later had to marry his son to a man. Now most of his son’s betrothal presents were stolen. His brothers are way cross the line.”

“I heard that the Prime Minister is behind of the whole stealing-betrothal-present thing.”

Wu Yanlan was furious that they were making nonsense to ruin Wu Clan’s reputation.

“No way. Is the Prime Minister so poor that he has to steal someone else’s betrothal presents?”

“Who knows? Enough of the gossip. We should clean the yard now. Be careful not to be caught by the butler, or we’d be so dead.”

“Take me to meet your chief.” Wu Yanlan said angrily as he heard the footsteps gone.

The servant hurriedly led the way.

On the other side of the wall, the servants didn’t leave actually. They were actually Shiyuan and Shiyou who had waited there as Wu Ruo told them to say those words so that Wu Yanlan could hear. They exchanged a smile as they heard Wu Yanlan’s yelling. Wu Yanlan came to Bujin Yard and snorted at the sight of Wu Bufang, “Chief Wu, I respect you as a smart man who can build such a big family here in just a few decades. But today when I am here in Gaoling, I was told that Wu family is so poor that you even need to live on stealing other’s betrothal presents. What a disgraceful behavior! And what is worse…”

He got more furious, “How dare you even get my great-grandfather involved into this? You even make up a lie that my great-grandfather ordered you to do so. I will definitely tell my great-grandfather about this when I go back and ask him to root you out of Wu Clan before you ruin our reputation.”

Wu Bufang’s smile froze on his face and he hurriedly explained, “Yanlan, I can explain. It’s a total mistake…”

If Wu family was rooted out of the clan, they would no longer be the biggest family in Gaoling town.

“I don’t give it a shit whether it is a mistake or not, you are ruining our reputation indeed.”

“I know.” Wu Bufang only felt he was so unlucky in his heart. As he was trying to silent the rumor, Wu Yanlan came.

“You know? Then what are you waiting for? Go return Wu Ruo’s betrothal presents and press things down as soon as possible.” All Wu Yanlan cared about was to get rid of the trouble as soon as possible. If other big families in the capital city knew about it, they would laugh at Wu Clan, and then they really had no face to show before people.

“I had already asked them to return the betrothal gifts.”

“That’s good.” Wu Yanlan grabbed a cup of tea the servant handed over and took a sip, still feeling a bit worried, “I think you’d better go check it yourself. I will wait here for your news. You have to return the betrothal gifts to Wu Ruo today.”

Wu Bufang hesitated a bit and then nodded, “Sure, I am on it now.”

As he walked out of the hall, he immediately ordered his butler to take out the gifts that the four brothers sent to him. They were also a part of the betrothal gifts.

As the chief was personally in charge of the whole thing, the four brothers could only return all betrothal gifts and magic weapons. Carriages of presents were sent to Shuqing Yard in the next hour.

“Ma’am, you have no idea that their faces look like shit when the four brothers opened their warehouse to take out your betrothal presents. Master Qiantong even whipped Wu Shi and Wu Bai with a cane. It is such a drama show. So lively!” Shiyou described how Wu Bufang ordered the four brothers to open their warehouses to Wu Ruo.

Shiyuan smiled, “The chief said that we don’t need to return those replacements. Just take them as the compensation for your suffering. Then he took your grandfather and the four brothers to the Bujin Yard for punishment. What a great loss for the four brothers.”

Wu Ruo smiled. And at the sight of the 18 carriages of betrothal presents, his smile grew bigger.

The four brothers were already so angry for giving back things that didn’t belong to them. How would they feel if someone died?

Hum! He was really looking forward to it!