chapter 164: The Prime Minister's Birthday Banquet (6)

Once Wu Xi finished changing her clothes, Wu Ruo took out the dim sum that he brought with him from Hei Mansion to share with the others. Therefore they only had a few bites before they got full at lunch.

In the afternoon, guests from outside started to come to visit. Wu Ruo also gave the birthday gift to the housekeeper in charge and went to Wu Chenzi’s yard to give their wishes.

Wu Qianqing and the family were only from sideline, not qualified to give their wishes face to face. They sat somewhere in the yard to have a chat.

Before long, a servant told them that Wu Qianqing’s great grandparents wanted to see them.

Wu Qianqing didn’t know whether to go or not. Because if his grandparents were still alive, it would be impolite to go to greet them. But what if it was another setup?

“Are my grandparents there as well?” He asked.

The servant nodded, “yes, they are there and expecting you.”

“Really? But my grandfather was sitting here and having a chat with me half an hour ago. He is really quick to go to visit my great grands in such a short time.” Wu Qianqing said.

It was actually a bluff.

“You must be joke. Chief Wu has talked with master Great Grand for almost an hour. How could he possibly have a chat with you half an hour ago?” the servant said.

Wu Qianqing frowned. So it was real that his great grands wanted to see them?

Hei Xuanyi asked the servant, “are you from the great great grands’?”

“Yes.” The servant nodded.

Wu Ruo took the hint why Hei Xuanyi asked the question and said, “we have never seen the great great grands before. So it makes more sense that you don’t know us. But you recognize us so quickly. You are impressive, I have to say.”

The servant said with a smile as though he didn’t understand the suspicion in lines, “I was told that Master Ruo and his husband are the most beautiful men of all. That’s why I recognize you at one sight.”

Wu Ruo smiled. This servant was more prudent than the maid before.

“So you are sent from my great great grands. But we are sorry that you should go back and tell them that we can’t leave now because it’s His Excellency’s birthday. And we are begging for his forgiveness. But once we are settled down in the city, the entire family will pay a visit.”

The servant’s smile froze and said nothing before he left the yard to report his mission.

Wu Qianqing said heavily, “he is apparently not sent by great grands.”

If Wu Bufang were with great grands, he would send his own servant to invite them over, not just a stranger.

Wu Qianqing asked Wu Ruo and Hei Xuanyi, “do you think who is behind of all of these? Could it be…”

He stopped talking as he noticed that Wu Xi and Guan Tong were there.

Wu Ruo kind of knew who it might be but he didn’t want Wu Qianqing to worry about him. He said, “as long as we are together and stay where the crowd are, they won’t have a chance to hurt us.”

Hei Xuanyi nodded.

Then no one had ever wanted to see them.

In the evening, Wu Chenzi received the news that the Emperor and the Queen came to celebrate his birthday together with princes and princesses. He ordered everyone to rush to the gate to welcome them, including Wu Ruo and others.

As soon as they knelt down, thousands of royal guards in light armors flocked at the gate of Wu Mansion.

Most of the carriages were yellow, a symbolic color of royal family. And on the carriages, the patterns were either dragons or phoenix, very royal. The entire Wu family hold their heads down and hold their breaths, trying not to disturb the emperor in the carriage.

The eunuch outside the carriage raised the curtain as he shouted, “The emperor! The queen!”

Everyone kowtowed to welcome the royal couple.

The emperor came down from the carriage and smiled brightly unlike a serious emperor. He ordered them to stand up. All the princes and princesses got off the carriage soon.

Wu Chenzi went forward and walked the emperor into the Wu Mansion.

It was Wu Ruo’s first time to see the emperor. He couldn’t help taking a few more looks at him. The emperor looked in his early thirties and he was full of energy while talking. However, his bloodshot eyes were not clear and there was too much aging sensation in those eyes. With years of medical experience, the emperor must be ill. But he could only tell what kind of illness he had if he felt his pulse.

In last life the emperor died when he was 28 years old. But given the situation he was having, it was a problem if he could live for another 5 years. Wu Ruo assumed that someone rushed the emperor’s death because he had saved Ling Mohan.

Thinking of Ling Mohan, Wu Ruo looked at him who was behind the emperor. He was wearing an apricot-colored four-dragon robe with a Nine-Palace Dragon Jade Pendant tied to his belt which brought out the royal and noble quality of him. Unlike the cold face he had back in Gaoling, he put on a smiling face at everyone. He may look very easygoing on the outside, but it was not sure to tell what was actually on his mind.

Suddenly, Wu Ruo felt a shove.

Looking back, he had been jostling far away from Hei Xuanyi. Then someone gave him a push at Ling Mohan.