chapter 166: The Prime Minister's Birthday Banquet (8)

Wu Weixue stepped out and said with a tone of pure angel, “perhaps he is wronged.”

The imperial concubine pulled her back to her, “Xue, you are so kind. You are credulous.”

Wu Ruo almost laughed at it.

“But…”

Wu Weixue was about to say something before the concubine stopped her, “enough. Stay out of the business. The State Master knows what to do.”

Someone shouted, “we can’t tolerate the family. We don’t have such a callous family member. State Master, please punish them fairly.”

Wu Chenzi looked at the Emperor, “what is your order, your majesty?”

The Emperor loathed such kind of betrayers, “it’s your family affair, which I am in no place to have a say about. But I am quite angry about what they did. If they don’t get a severe punishment, I don’t think it’s a right thing to do.”

Ling Mohan frowned because it would be hard to turn the table if his father convicted Wu Ruo.

As he was figuring out how to speak for Wu Ruo without raising any suspicion, Wu Ruo said, “your majesty, I have something to say.”

“What do you want to say?” the Emperor stared at him coldly.

“Do they have evidence to convict me? Who did actually see us leaving the city when the ghosts attacked the city? Are there anyone who witnessed us not to save our family? Or did anyone see that we didn’t go back to find them?”

Wu Ruo scanned everyone, “Anyone of you see it? If no, don’t talk. Because rumor might kill an innocent man. In that case, what you do is more horrible and scarier.”

“…” the Emperor.

“…” the crowd.

Ling Mohan froze a bit but smiled in his eyes.

“Do you have any evidence to prove that you went back to the city?” the housekeeper asked.

“You wanna evidence?” Wu Ruo’s lips curved upward, “fine. I can tell you now. ten days later, my people will send Wu family from Gaoling to Imperial city. I believe that the kind State Master will take them in and won’t have the heart to starve them. You will make them live comfortable, won’t you?”

He had actually given orders to send those families to the Imperial City when he received the Invitation Letter.

Wu Qianqing, Guan Tong, Wu Bufang, Yao Shuyuan and Wu Yu who had hiding in the crowd were surprised.

The Wu family in Gaoling were still alive?

Wu Chenzi’s eyes twitched, “sure thing.”

Darn it! He had to listen to a kiddo.

Wu Ruo said to the emperor, “your majesty, sorry that I am not that powerful to save every man in the city. The best I could do was to bring my wounded families to the Imperial City. Can you spare my life because I tried my best to save as many people as possible?”

The Emperor looked much nicer, “if it turns out that you are telling the truth, then you are wronged. You are innocent.”

“Thank you.” Wu Ruo continued, “but I am asking a justice from you.”

“Do you want me to punish those who misjudged you?” The Emperor asked as he saw the blood on Wu Ruo’s forehead.

Someone in the crowd said, “Wu Ruo, don’t cross the line. It’s true we misjudged you. But none of you are punished. There is no way you should punish us.”

Without speaking to that man, Wu Ruo said, “your majesty, I am worried that my uncles must be seriously injured. And I am not capable to cure them. They are going to get medical treatment in Wu family, but look at the attitude they are having for me right now, the Wu family might not treat my uncles very well. Therefore, allow me to pledge for an imperial decree saying that the State Master should heal my uncles.”

The entire Wu family was enraged.

The Emperor hesitated for moment before saying, “if you are telling the truth and you saved your family, I will grant the decree.”

“Thank you, your majesty.” Wu Ruo knelt down.

He glanced at the furious Wu Weixue and Wu Chen and gloated. I wouldn’t have gone this far if you didn’t hurt my family. Let’s see. When the Wu family in Gaoling come here, every single moment you live will be a pain.

Ling Mohan said, “Wu Ruo, whether you saved anyone is irrelevant to breaking my jade. So you have to get punishment from me.”

Wu Weixue’s lips curved upward.

Wu Qianqing and Guan Tong stepped out, “please forgive his honest mistake. He is too weak physically to take any punishment. I can take the punishment for him.”

Hei Xuanyi stepped out, “I am his husband. I can take over his punishment.”

The crowd was shocked.

“A man marries a man?”

The Emperor was shocked too.

Wu Weixue shot a furious stare at them but she couldn’t stop them.

Ling Mohan sneered, “I will punish the one who broke my jade. None of you can replace him. Take him away.”

The guards dragged Wu Ruo away.

Ling Mohan said to Wu Chenzi, “State Master, I am sorry that I am not in the mood to take part in your banquet. You have a nice birthday.”

Then he left.

“…” Wu Chenzi.

Hei Xuanyi and Wu Qianqing and others left in a hurry as well.