Little Talks

Dan POV

I was nervous as always, then two girls came walking in, looking like they meant business. A blonde in a dress and jacket hanging over her shoulder. The blondes wearing nearly the identical outfits. Kyle pulled one into a hug and shook the others hand before they began to approach me. Then there you were. Blonde locks and smile that revealed so much in an instant.

" This is Daniel Smith, the brains of the operations. Dan this is Nicole and Janna."

"Please call me Nikki..." I shook your hand for the first time. Your skin was smooth and even this close to you the aroma of vanilla filled my nose. Kyle seemingly had lost all interest in you. Then again he was always good with women.

"Hello Nikki... It's a pleasure to meet you... Umm. Thanks for... Giving us a chance."

"O don't thank me..." I let go of your hand then shoved mine into my pocket. Why you made me so nervous I couldn't understand. "I've already decided to sign you guys. Mr. Smith you have a remarkable voice."

"O it's... It's really not that good." I looked down, I was always embarrassed when someone would compliment me. Surely I was nothing special. I couldn't manage to keep the girl I loved faithful. There had to be something wrong with me. She hated that I sung. I needed a real job she always said.

"Don't think so low of yourself Mr. Smith. Congratulations. Welcome to Virgin records." I swallowed the lump in my throat. These were one of those moments I wanted to run and call my mother and tell her I made it. Tell her all those years of schooling didn't go to waste. I forced a smile then zoned out as you walked away, sitting down at my piano. Then came my nerves, my heart thumping as people flooded in, anxiety fueling my bouncing foot. Before I knew it the bartender motioned for us to start.

"Hello, were Bastille and this is our song Laura Palmer..." I fucking stuttered like a fool then you whistled really loud from the bar and smiled once my eyes caught yours. My heart slowed down after I took a breath. By some miracle knowing you were there calmed me. Laura Palmer went over flawlessly then Flaws. "Alright last song, we actually just created it yesterday. I would like to take a minute to thank Virgin Records for signing us today. This is overjoyed." I closed my eyes as I played, it still felt like I was in my bedroom sometimes. The only audience was the posters on the walls and my sister who always sat on the other side of the door. The dream was over once the crowd went wild and resumed their drinking. I caught your eyes on me again and a smile still gracing your lips.

" Well don't mind me lads, but I'm gonna go talk up Janna." Kyle smirked wandering off the stage. Woody and Will were already over at the dart board and then there was me. Sitting by myself at the bar, beer in hand.

"Why do you constantly look like a lost puppy Smith?" I nearly jumped once your hand touched my shoulder then you sat down beside me. You some how were drinking straight whiskey and still functioning.

"Please just call me Dan."

" Well Dan... Why so down? You've been signed. You should be thrilled." You sat back, tossing fifty pounds on the counter for your drinks.

"I am, I'm just an introvert I guess." A slight chuckle escaped me as you nodded. It was obvious I wasn't good with small talk.

"Why are you nervous on stage? You're brilliant." A laugh boasted from my mouth before I finished off my beer and waved to the bartender for another.

"I'm far from.... Brilliant." My eyes met yours, you were so alluring. Pink lips just asking to be kissed. I couldn't bring myself even to move closer to you, let alone kiss you. You punched me in the arm, a fake gasp coming from me.

"O hush! Like I said you're brilliant. Enough negativity. Really. Congrats, I'll see you tomorrow at my office. Just walk into the Virgin records building, go to the lady at the front desk tell her you're here to see Nicole Clark. If she doesn't believe you say Nikki. Only people who know me know I go by Nikki." You flashed me that smile again. The smile that hid who you really were underneath.

"Alright, see you tomorrow." You stood and kissed my cheek, I felt frozen against your touch. Why did I feel this way after all I still loved Carly.

"On second thought.... Judging by Kyle and Janna over there she'll probably be driving all of you to the place tomorrow. It's obvious those two will be fucking tonight." A laugh escaped you as you kept your hand on my shoulder, I was facing the bar and you were looking at the crowd.

"O well brilliant. Saves me the awkward conversation."

" Yes very much so Dan... Good night."

" Good night..." You began to walk away as my eyes caught the bottle of whiskey you left. The bottle half gone, what demons were you hiding? "Nikki!" Your frame spun around, glancing at me. "Are you okay to drive?"

" Yes, thank you darling for asking." That faux smile again shined through before you continued on your way. Once again I was left with that empty feeling and my thoughts. I grabbed a napkin and pulled a pen from my pocket, sighing as I scribbled along. Thinking of you in that very moment. Words to describe you were so difficult to come by, yet I managed three line, staring at them before shoving them in my pocket. I chugged my nearly full beer before looking to Kyle. Giving a wave then heading out to my car with my keyboard in tow. This was the night I first learned about the Glory of you Nicole. Who were you?

Are you going to age with grace?
Are you going to leave a path to trace?
But oblivion is calling out your name,