Whispers of Oblivion

Dan POV

Paris was the city of love. I slept as much as possible and if I couldn't sleep I would look at the ring. The ring I could only picture on your finger. Thank God I was now back in London. The taxi driver maneuvering through the city to take me back to my distraction which was Janna and Kyle. Of course in my pocket... my finger tips were fiddling with the warm metal.

" Alright here's your stop. Aye, you're that guy from that band! Bastille right!?"

"Yea." I laughed weakly as he grinned.

"Awesome! I can say someone famous has been in my cab. Farewell mate!" I climbed out and grabbed my bag from the boot, zipping my jacket pocket shut to safeguard your ring. Yet the moment I walked through the front door something felt wrong. Kyle looked exhausted which was never. Janna as well. It was only seven in the morning, which also made it strange that either of them were up on a Saturday morning.

" Hey... Guys. What's wrong?"

" Dan..." Kyle looked to me then Janna.

"I'll talk to him. Dan it's about Nicole." My heart dropped.

"Is she dead?" Janna shook her head before motioning for me to follow her. I sat down my suitcase and followed like a lost puppy to my door. It was closed half way, but I could see the blonde hair shimmering in the light through the curtains. Your cheeks were sunk in slightly and skin pale. I didn't even notice, but I had already made it to your bedside and crouched to my knees.

" Hey... Beautiful." I pressed a kiss to your forehead before stroking your cheek. Your body felt on fire, yet you were shivering under the mountain of blankets. " What happened to her?"

" The doctor her father and brother had... He um... He was trying to kill her with pills and she called me last night saying she was sick. Kyle and I went to get her and the room she was in was filled with pill bottles. Kate says she wouldn't have survive much longer. I'll leave you to be with her." I nodded slowly never taking my eyes off of you. My hand unzipped my pocket and grabbed your ring, carefully slipping it on your finger.

"You're gonna be okay... I hope you don't take this off because I can't lose you." I blinked a few times as the tears filled my eyes. "You should have trusted me to help you. If this is why you left." I sighed and placed my head against your arm. Vanilla. Even in this state you smelled of the sweet warm scent. A groan escaped you as your eyes opened slightly.

"Dan?"

"Shhh rest I'm not going anywhere love."

"I'm sorry... I'm... Sick." I just nodded and took your hand, squeezing it.

" We'll get you better. Now don't waste your energy." You shook slightly and closed your eyes again.

" Can you lay with me..." I didn't say a word and laid down on the bed, pulling you closer, but leaving you in your bundle of blankets.

"When you fall asleep.... With your head upon my shoulder.... When you're in my arms... But you've gone somewhere deeper...." I whispered into your hair, your heart beat was rapid, yet your breathing calm. Your body had no idea what to do with all that was going on and who could blame it after what you put it through. Once I thought you were fast asleep I freed myself from your grasp and carefully wrapped you tighter in the blankets to shake and tremble. "You know Pompeii is nearly number one... You would be so excited darling." I sighed and sat on the floor, looking to the closet with my back against the side of the bed. "I knew how excited you were... To think that you didn't even do this to yourself and a doctor you trusted did this to you scares me. It scares me even more that you didn't come to me for help. That when you're ill you run from the people who care because you fear your downfall. " I sighed and closed my eyes, I felt fingers run through my hair. The calming sensation that would make the hairs on my arm stand up. I was surprised you were awake somehow.

"I don't want you.... To be the person... To bury me..." Your fingers ran down my neck and then my shoulder were you squeezed. "I hate you being... The one to watch... This miserable life of... Mine." You coughed before taking a deep breath.

"Then trust me to be there with you and help you through it." I turned my head to look back to you. Your eyes mirrored mine. Grey. The loss of happiness and reason.

"I'm sorry... I shouldn't... Shouldn't have left.... But that car accident... It scared me... By the time I started thinking straight.... I already had pushed you away."

"If we hadn't argued you would have been fine." I sighed softly and kissed your hand.

"Will you forgive me Dan?" I nodded slowly and squeezed your hand.

"As long as you promise not to do that again. No more leaving. No taking that ring off. It drove me crazy carrying it around instead of seeing it on your finger." You nodded slightly before closing your eyes, too exhausted to keep them open.

"I promise... Tell me about Pompeii. Tell every thing from the beginning of it going on the radios and YouTube." I chuckled slightly and just like that things seemed right. You were mine. I think your grey eyes turned blue that morning. You had a little more color to your skin and your lips were pink. I told you all about Pompeii. How quickly it climbed the charts. How Janna and virgin records were getting blown up with phone calls to have us perform. In all honesty none of this would have ever been possible without you. Without that million dollar smile of yours. Without you giving me a chance to prove I could sing. Then again we were lost in our glory. The perfectly imperfect pair.

--------

Yay! Happy chapter sort of, but don't worry in fitting tradition of my writing every thing will go to shit again some day soon ;) for now enjoy the lack of Kleenex needed for this chapter.