The News

Dan POV

I couldn't zone out the news anymore. It just kept updating the world on gossip and well...you.

"Nicole Smith, Wife of Dan Smith from Bastille was shot in the chest last month. Reports say she is still on life support. Sources close to the family say they don't have any information as to when or if she will wake up."

"That must be extremely hard on every one close to them Suzanne."

"Agreed Roger... We are sending our sincerest condolences to the Smith family and wishing for the best right along with you. The Clark family name would die about with Nicole.... As her famous brother died back in the 1990s."

I clicked off the tv and glanced down at my phone blowing up with mentions. Usually I had them off, but I think the fans support was helping me keep the hope alive.

Stormer1: I wonder what @BastilleDan is feeling right now 😕 I feel so bad for him and everyone else.

Stormer 2: you hated Nicole stop acting like you care....

Stormer 3: best wishes to the Smith family. I hope mother Stormer wakes up 😔 I feel so bad for Clara.

Stormer2: I can't believe she got shot... It's so scary.

Stormer4: we should go hold candles outside the hospital.

I stopped reading and sat my phone down, glancing at you and Clara. She was fast asleep snuggled up with you. I got up from the sofa and sat down in the chair beside your bed.

" Hey beautiful...." I took your hand and kissed the back before holding it between mine. "I wish you were here to tell me what to do.... You always were good at tough decisions... Yet this decision is on your life... You told me before this happened that you weren't ready to die... That's why I'm keeping you here... You said you weren't ready..." My eyes welled up with tears as I roughly bit my bottom lip. "I'm not ready either... I don't want to think Janna is right.." I glanced to the door as I heard the familiar squeal of the hinges. Kyle and Phil walked in with another set of flowers. You hated wilted flowers so we changed them every day.

" Hey mate..." Kyle mumbled and Phil gave a nod toward me. He was holding a guitar in hand. A pearl white Gibson, it was identical to the one that hung at my father's.

"I thought when she wakes up she'd like to have something to do... Steve tended to want to play in the hospital." He sat it against the wall before walking over to you.

"Thanks Phil... She'll appreciate it."

"Any news?" Kyle sighed, glancing to me then you.

"No... Not a damn thing... Janna got really upset with me... Told me I'm being selfish for not pulling the plug."

"Janna is just hurt." Kyle shrugged, picking up your hand and looking at your nails. "She's only saying that because she hates being without her... Why do you think she paints her nails every couple days?" He sat your hands down. "That's what the lot of them use to do... Chrissy, Awoui, Janna, and Niks... Girly stuff." A chuckle escaped him before he sat down. "I don't think you're being selfish by any means. I'd keep her alive too... She didn't want to die... She's fighting for her life... It's our job to give her the fighting chance." I nodded slowly before standing, moving the strand of your hair.

"She's a fighter... All of her family have been fighters." Phil mumbled as I sat back down. I watched your hand and felt my heart go to my throat. Your pinky was twitching.

"Her pinky! Kyle! Get a doctor!" I hollered as Kyle was already running out the door. A mere moment later a doctor was standing by your bedside monitoring your vitals. "What's happening?"

"She's still in a coma Mr.Smith... Minor movement is a good sign... Her heart rate is increasing ever so slightly. I'm changing my recommendation.... With this minor increase of response..." He glanced to his board before looking at your monitor. "I'm increasing the therapy to four times a day... And the option to terminate Mrs.Smiths life support is being revoked till further notice. If I see no more increase in response then I'll reinstate that right within a week." I nodded quickly before he sat the clip board at the end of the bed then left.

" Kyle do you mind watching Clara tonight? I need to stay with her... If she wakes up tonight I wanna be here." He nodded slowly and picked up the half asleep toddler.

"Monkey.... You wanna stay with me tonight?"

"Okay... Uncle... Kitty." She yawned and waved to me with a smile. "Byes daddy. Bye mummy."

"Bye darling..." I cracked a smile then looked to Phil who was closing the door. Once again I was left alone with you and my thoughts. I sat down and watched your hand, struggling to keep my eyes opened for any more signs of life. "I know you're in there Nicole... I know you're fighting because you wanna see me and Clara... I know you're dying to wander through London with me.... We'll have a few drinks.... Sit by the lake near the house..." I placed my head on the bed and moved your hand to my cheek. It was colder than normal, yet it was still you. Your skin still as soft against mine. "No more problems... We'll be okay... You're a Smith." I closed my eyes, resting my head slightly more against your leg.

That night you didn't wake up. In fact you didn't even flinch any more, but I felt good knowing you were fighting just as hard as us. You would keep fighting I hoped until you would open your eyes. Yet nothing ever seemed to go smoothly for us. How much longer would I spend my hours by your bedside like a prince waiting for a princess to wake from a deep slumber.