Festivals

Dan POV

I had been practicing with the guys, visiting you, and crashing at your place daily. For once I seemed to have a routine. As for you, your health was ever improving and leg gaining strength enough for you to hobble around with a crutch. Today was different though. I didn't sleep good and I felt like my heart was in my throat as I walked down the hall to your hospital room. Like always I knocked twice before carefully pushing the door open then flashing a smile.

" Hello love... You ready for your big day?" You laughed with a smile as I nodded slowly and handed you the bouquet of orange red roses.

"I'm nervous as hell."

"That will go away as you go on stage love... I promise you that."

"How would you know?"

"Because it's like public speaking. It gets easier." You took my hand and gave it a squeeze. "I'm sorry I can't be there... I've got a few more days with this shitty hospital food before I get to go home... I can't wait to lay in our bed..." You sighed and closed your eyes as if dreaming the moment you would get to lay down.

"Our bed?" A smirk crossed my lips as you opened your eyes and laughed softly.

" Yes our bed... I'll always be there waiting for you to come home after your long tours." I laughed slightly before fiddling with your hand in mine.

"You won't come?"

"Dan... We talked about this... I can't... I can't always be there. As much as I would love to darling." I nodded slowly and sighed, glancing around your hospital room.

"I wish I could steal you away from here for tonight."

"Me too. Janna said you all would come after the shows and play me the tapes. I'll definitely take what I can get in regard to watching you all." You slowly sat up and pulled away the blanket, wearing black shorts, your one leg wrapped up and braced all the way down with supports. "You mind if we take a stroll? Just down the hall and back. I'm going crazy." I nodded and watched as you carefully moved your leg to hang off the bed. Then you jumped slightly and balanced on your good leg while grabbing your crutches.

"You sure you don't need help?"

"I'm sure Dan..." You sighed and with minimal effort began moving along once I opened the door. "Are you ready? To go on your next month?"

"I don't really know what to expect."

"Does that mean you're scared?" You smirked before laughing as I chuckled.

"I'm terrified. You think you'll make any of the shows?"

"In all honesty probably not, unless there is one in London. I'll have to sit backstage or something. The doctors say I can't stand normally probably till December. The pipe caused a lot of damage to my muscles. They said I would have bled out had I pulled it out."

"Does it feel funny?"

"I feel funny in general." I glanced to you as you looked down while swinging yourself with your crutches as your form of walking. "I tingle all over and they just keep making me numb. I can't always think clearly after the medicines. They say it would hurt though if I didn't take them."

"I'm sorry..."

"Why would you be sorry?"

"I should have made you stay that day... In bed and missed your meeting." You laughed slightly and shook your head.

"I wasn't lying when I said I feel like I'm cursed... Figures the medicine they put me on was the same shit Steve was taking when he died."

"I thought you said alcohol took him?"

"Well he was a rockstar, he was on pills too. Actually for a broken rib. It might sound weird, but I miss him... So much actually. I still got his house in Sheffield.. I've been there a few times and everything reminds me of him there. It smells funny... Like when you hug someone you don't know and they have their own scent?" You were deep in thought as we sat down in the waiting room. " He smelled of mint and... Whiskey... Then again maybe it's all in my mind." A huff of a laugh escaped you as a smile cracked your lips. "All I have is music to hear him... Then again Steve rarely said a word... The guys wrote two songs for him after he died."

Blood runs cold
I feel it in my bones
But you don't know your time is up
Blood runs cold

You could sing and I knew that now just by the short verse coming past your lips. You stood and pulled me from my thoughts. "You've gotta get going love. You'll be late to practice." I nodded slowly and started walking with you back to your room.

"I'm sure he loved you."

"Everyone loves children Dan... I was only 3 he doesn't know who I've become.... Lorelei stopped by yesterday with Phil and another one of Steve's friends named Joe. They were afraid I didn't make it."

"Why didn't you tell me yesterday?"

"Because it feels weird with all these people trying to get into my life..." I nodded slowly and helped you back into bed before pressing a kiss to your lips.

"Get some rest love... I'll see you tonight alright?" You nodded and closed your eyes, that little trip down the hall was exhausting for you. I grabbed my things and once again felt anxiety pumping through my veins. I would have to face my fears of singing to a crowd without you flashing your smile at me. Then again it was hard to believe this was my life now. This would be come a daily thing that soon I would enjoy. Then again where would you be in all of this? Waiting at home for me? Or would we drift apart and our secret become meaningless through the years? Who knows what the future holds....