His Choice of Time

Janna POV

"You know he visits everyday at exactly 3?" I mumbled, painting her finger nails in crimson. "He starts every day as normal... Gets Clara ready before taking her to his mother's.... He'll go to the studio to work, but he rarely gets things done because he's constantly checking his phone.... Awoui you think she can actually hear us?"

"I dunno..." She sighed softly while painting the other hand's nails. " My father said when he was in a coma he knew we were talking to him and it made him fight harder...." I huffed and glanced up at her.

"Anyways... He comes here around 3 and sometimes he brings Clara... He'll play the piano for you... Well keyboard... The first couple nights he slept here, but now he goes home and makes dinner for Clara and himself.... I think he's keeping it together for you Niks..." I closed the nail polish tube before sitting back. " Its been three weeks and it feels like it's been a eternity since I last heard your voice..." I bit the inside of my cheek. "I don't know if he's making the right choice the longer you lay here... Hell I know he loves you but sometimes you gotta let go of the people you love.... It's sometimes for the best...Alexander visited recently... He gave you a necklace with that diamond you got shot over... I think it's fucked up, but he seemed to have good intentions. You've gotta meet Woodys baby boy... His names Kamden and he's the cutest little shit you'll ever see." I laughed slightly and glanced down at my hands. "You're missing so much..." I heard the door click and glanced behind me. His hair was wild, eyes showing the emotions his face was hiding. Clara grinning seeing me as Dan sat her between your legs. I'm glad she doesn't understand what's going on right now. Dan told her a story to make this seem okay. That you were like a princess and someone put you in a deep sleep.

"Mummy! I is here! Wake up!" She looked at you then sighed softly before laying down. She'd always take a nap with her head on one of your thighs.

" Hey Dan."

" Hey Janna... Awoui." He sat down and rubbed his face before looking to you. "Any news?"

" No... The therapist and other doctors made their rounds already. Moved her limbs a bit and checked her vitals... Kyle is gonna be here soon too. Keep you company while Awoui and I grab a bite."

"Sounds good." He was short for conversation lately. Who could blame him. He moved the table closer where his keyboard sat and stared at it for a few moments.

" Dan?"

" Yeah?"

"You're suffering... I get that, but coming here every day isn't gonna change anything." I regretted opening my mouth and blurting out how I felt. Yet in a way he deserves to know that we all saw how he was feeling. "She'll wake up in her own time... That's a if she wakes up... And Clara doesn't need to see her like this.... Would you want your last memories of her to be like this?"

"She's gonna wake up Janna-"

"And if she doesn't?" His jaw tensed as he looked down, zoning out into his own world.

"I won't even consider her not waking up Janna... She has to wake up."

"For you? For Clara? Dan.... She got shot in the chest... Right off the bat mate, 9 out of 10 people die... Being a bloody Clark-"

"She's not a fucking Clark!" His voice raised and Awoui flinched before looking at him. Clara was still dead asleep. He sighed and lowered his tone. "She's a Smith... She'll fine... She just needs to heal." He spun his wedding ring around his finger. Ever since the accident he'd been wearing it religiously. For a man like Dan who often lost things it was a big commitment to wearing it every day.

"You need to set a date... That if she doesn't wake up its time to pull the plug..."

"Janna..." Awoui shook her head looking at me. "Not right now... Just drop it."

"She's right..." He pinched the bridge of his nose for a moment. "I'll give it till the end of March... It's the beginning of February.... Give me two more months...."

" Dan she'll look nothing like herself if she keeps laying her."

" Why the fuck do you think I'm paying for her therapy!" He stood, raking his fingers through his hair. "Alex gave me all the bloody money that she inherited and it's going all to her care! They're trying to keep her from deteriorating so that WHEN she wakes up she won't be a weak corpse!" Clara woke up and stared at him with wide eyes. " Janna she's your best friend! You want me to pull the plug and let her die!"

"Mummys gonna... Die?" Clara's bottom lip wobbled as Dan picked her up.

"Christ...." He glared at me a moment before kissing her temple. " No no... Mummy is fine... Your aunt Janna just doesn't understand...."

"The hell I don't... You're being selfish Dan...." I grabbed my purse and stood. "This little girl needs to have play dates and adventures... Not a daily trip to the hospital... Not a daily sign of what the fuck is wrong with this world..." I walked out and took a deep breath, Awoui's heels clicking behind me.

" Janna! Wait up! Don't you think that was a bit harsh?" She grabbed my arm and I sighed.

"I just got caught up in it all... I can't keep seeing them like this... Even if it means him pulling the plug..." I glanced to her before brushing my cheeks of the tears that just fell. "I don't know how to react anymore seeing her in that hospital bed... Clara doesn't need to see her like this..."

" We'll figure it out okay? Maybe Dan is right... Maybe she just needs time..." Or maybe I was right and it was time to pull the plug on my best friend's life.