Shinra Kusakabe

Shinra froze, staring at the staircase you ascented. He knew you were strong but he was afraid for you. He didn't want to lose you to the fire. He heard a scream that took him out of his daze. He wasn't sure if it was you though. As Shinra went to run up the stairs, the building collapsed and destroyed the only way up. Arthur yelled and got his attention. He forgot that they were fighting an infernal.

By the time they put the infernal to rest, you still weren't back. His heart was pounding out of his chest as he thought of the possibility that you had burned. He wailed your name, hoping to get a response. But you were too high up to hear him. He continued to call out to you, only to get the debris from the floor above in response. His nervous grin never left his face. Tears were rolling down his cheeks. Dread washed over him, not wanted to accept that you had burned. You promised you'd never leave him, you never break promises. Shinra called for you again, his voice cracking and full of agony. The building was still collapsing. He would've been crushed by a beam if the captain didn't pull him out of the way.

Shinra fought to get out of Captain Obi's grip. He wanted to save you so bad. He just wanted to keep you safe and by his side forever. He couldn't just sit around and let you get hurt. Unfortunately for him, the captain was too strong and he was carried out. The captain knew you were okay. He knew you'd never leave Shinra or any of them for that matter. But he knew Shinra was your drive and you'd always come back for him. Shinra cried and wailed your name. He begged for the Obi to let him go back and at least try to save you. But, Obi told him to stay put.

"Listen, I know you're scared for her. But Y/n is strong. You know this. She'll make it out of there, I promise. Just give her a little time." He held Shinra by the shoulders and looked into his eyes. Shinra felt better after hearing that, but he was still worried. He just nodded and turned back to the building, sniffling.

'Y/n please come back to me. Don't leave me. You're all I have. Please. You can do it. I know you can.' He closed his eyes and thought to himself. More tears streamed down his cheeks as he thought about you in an attempt to calms himself down. He cried, hoping he'd see you again. Hold you again. Tell you how much you mean to him. Tell you that he loves you with all his heart. He kept his eyes closed and waited, blocking out all the sounds from the scene.

A few minutes passed and he was even more worried. But that feeling faded when he saw you limping toward him with a grin. Your face was covered in dirt and soot, your uniform was torn up, you had various injuries, but you were alright. Shinra wasted no time and ran to you, pulling you into his arms and squeezing as tightly as he could, just to make sure you were real. You hugged back and buried your face in his shoulder. Shinra did the same, but cried and wouldn't stop nuzzling into you.

"Y/n... you scared me." He whispered

"Told you I'd make it." He cupped your cheeks and looked into your eyes. They were still full of life and love for him. He rested his forehead against yours and let out a shaky sigh. His body moved on it's own as his face inched closer to yours. You kissed back once your lips came in contact with his. It was a slow, meaningful, loving kiss. Both of you were bashfully smiling once you pulled away.

"I love you so much Y/n," he embraced you tightly again, "Don't ever scare me like that again." He pouted when you wiped his face with what remained of your sleeve, earning a chuckle out of you. While looking at him, you noticed the kitten you saved was trotting up to you.

"Look, I saved this little fella while I was in there. I think he likes me." You watched the kitten as he rubbed against your leg.

"You almost died for a kitten?!" He looked down at you, flabbergasted.

"No... maybe. I saved some people in there too. I just got the kitten first..." you scratched the back of your neck and looked away. Before Shinra could respond, Obi walked up and put a hand on your shoulder. You looked up, expecting to see a scowl but instead he had a proud smile.

"Good job, L/n. Next time, don't keep us waiting. Some of us we're on wits end." He fist bumped you and started walking away, the rest of the eighth following him.

"Ready to go?" You turned back to Shinra. He nodded and clasped your hand tightly, walking with you by his side.