Hiroto Maehara

Y/n's POV

Maehara... that damn playboy. I hate him so much. I really don't, I just hate the fact that he's a player... and that I have a crush on him. We're actually friends, sorta. More like, close acquaintances. I try not to get too close to him because I know my feelings for him will get stronger. Too bad Koro sensei doesn't know, maybe he does, because he paired me with Maehara for a project which disrupts my plan. I'd probably end up doing almost all of the work, which I'm fine with, as long as I'm not around him for too long.

Me and Maehara were currently working on the project in class. My good friend Karma, yes him, came over and sat next to me. He's the only one who knows about my little one sided crush and I'm so grateful he hasn't told anyone.

"Hey there love birds. I'm going to steal Y/n's attention away for a second, okay?" Karma interrupted.

"What can be so important that you have to distract her from the project? Also, shouldn't you be working with your partner?" Maehara questioned

"How about you go draw or find another girl's heart to break? Anyway, a new cafe just opened up, you wanna go with me after school?"

"Of course! That sounds fun. I can't wait. I'll see you after school. Now go back and help your partner." I shooed Karma away and continued to help Maehara, who seemed mildly annoyed.

*at the cafe*

Me and Karma strolled down the sidewalk of the cafe with our drinks in hand while having a casual conversation. He's a surprisingly good guy once you get to know him. Like completely different than you'd expect. We were just chatting until we seen Maehara flirting with a girl in a restaurant. Sure he's not my boyfriend or anything but it still hurt.

"What's wrong?" Karma stopped and looked me in the eyes

"I... I lost my appetite." My eyes fell to the floor and I knew Karma understood what was wrong.

"Say the word and I'll take care of it."

"That's kind of you, but it's fine. It'll never happen anyway so I don't even know why I torture myself like this."

"You'll be fine. Besides, he probably has so many STDs that there's a few scientists haven't even heard of." Karma lightly wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"Heh, I guess that makes me feel a little better." We walked to our homes and I still had Maehara on my mind.

*few days later*

Karma tried his best to keep me happy. He always offering to hangout and he's been talking to me a lot more than usual, especially during class when I'm working with Maehara. I had just shooed Karma away and Maehara seemed like he had something on his mind. After a few minutes of silence, he finally spoke up

"You've talked to Karma more than you've talked to me this entire time. What's that all about? I mean, I am your partner, right?"

"Oh, I just didn't want to annoy you or anything. Speak of the devil, he's coming back."

"Can we work on the project after school? I have a place we can meet at if that's okay with you."

"Uh sure. Just let me take care of Karma and we can talk about it."

*after school*

Why did I agree to this? I'm so dumb. Karma has to walk me to the place Maehara said we'd meet at because I didn't want to get lost and I was scared. I was on edge. I was anxious, annoyed, and kinda pissed. Karma brought me to the place, which turned out to be the restaurant we saw him at the other day. Just like before, he was inside the building, sitting at a table but he was alone. I looked at Karma with a 'do I have to' face and he nudged me forward. I trudged into the building and Maehara got up and greeted me. He lead me to the table he was sitting at before I walked in.

"This is an interesting place to work on a project."

"Haha, yeah, I just thought it would be nice to treat you a little bit since you've been doing most of the work on the project." He said with a blush on his face. The waiter came over and asked what we wanted. I just ordered a salad because I was too nervous to eat in front of him. Our food came and I nervously poked at my salad.

"You only wanted a salad?"

"Y-yeah. I'm not that hungry and I don't want to over eat." I answered, my eyes never leaving my plate. My nerves were getting bad and I was getting slightly annoyed thinking about him just trying to win my heart then break it just because he can.

"Y/n... do you hate me?"

"Umm... honestly... no. But," he winced, "I hate the fact that you just play with girl's hearts and show no regret when you break them. I hate that you're a player and that I fell for you. I hate knowing that my crush on you means nothing because you wouldn't like me for obvious reasons. I'm not going to chase something that I know I'll never catch. I... I thought we were going to work on the project, but instead we're here. At first, I was willing to give it a chance but I realized that you may be toying with me and I hate the thought of it. I can't do this anymore, I'll see you at school tomorrow."

My fist clenched as I held back a few tears. Once my nerves were calmed down, I dug in my small bag and grabbed some money to pay for my meal as Maehara was processing what I said. After fishing the money out, I stood and began leaving the restaurant.

"Y/n wait," he grabbed my wrist, "Please listen to me. I understand why you feel like that. I'm a douche for what I've been doing to all these girls. But it didn't hit me until I processed what you just said. I don't want you think that I'd ever use you for anything. The truth is... I asked you to work on the project after school to get some alone time with you. Karma won't stop bothering us during class and every time I build up the nerve to say something he comes and ruins it. I wasn't sure if you'd come if I asked you on a date, so I used the project as an excuse to be with you after school. I'm sorry if I've hurt you at all. I really am and I'll do anything to make you feel better and to show you that I love you, Y/n..." His voice wavered and he sounded nervous. I looked into his eyes to see that they were a little watery.

"This isn't a prank or anything is it?" I whispered to him with tears in my eyes. He shook his head no and I hugged him as tightly as I could. Maehara hugged back and rubbed my back as a few of my tears fell on his shirt.

"I promise, I'll treat you like a queen and you won't have to worry about me flirting with any other girl."

"Thanks. Maehara."