Tanaka Ryuunosuke

"LET'S GO TANAKAAA!!" You shouted in celebration of his great play. He heard you over everyone in the crowd and waved at you when he found you. You excitedly waved back at him and gave him two thumbs up.

"How are you two not dating? You cheer for him like you're his girlfriend-" One of your friends said.

"Right? You saw how fast he found her? And look at how he looks at her. Y'all are a couple I don't care." Your other friend crossed her arms and leaned back in the bleachers.

"Calm down. He's my best friend, of course I'm gonna cheer for him. And he likes Kiyoko anyway." You sat in your seat and leaned forward and watched the game.

"Ok but... don't you have a crush on him-"

"Shhh I'm watching the game." 'They already know the answer to this why am I still being asked this question?' You rolled your eyes and focused on the game.

You were a bit less energetic for the rest of the game, but you continued to cheer Tanaka and the rest of the team on. You and your friends left the game and met Tanaka by the locker room.

"Is your elbow okay?" Your friends glanced at each other as you gave Tanaka a worried look.

He scratched the back of his neck and awkwardly smiled, "Yeah, it hurts a little bit but Kiyoko said it'll be better by tomorrow," He saw the relief on your face and felt better seeing you relaxed, "Are you okay? You got kinda quiet during the game." He got a bit more serious and gave his full attention, you felt your cheeks warm up as you stared back at him.

"Yeah. Just fine. I was just a little... distracted, and my stomach started hurting so..." 'Please believe me.' Tanaka was a bit suspicious but brushed it off and shrugged his shoulders.

"Alright then. I'll see you later tonight," he pat your shoulder and walked away. Your friends came up on both sides of you as soon as he left.

"Y'all are so cute together. Even if that was a bit awkward."

"Whatever. I'm ready to go. I have things I need to do at home." You rolled your eyes with a smile.

~At home~

'This homework is kicking my ass...' You leaned back in your desk chair and sighed, looking upside down, 'I should get some help,' you pulled out your phone to send a text message to Sugawara asking for help. He responded pretty quickly, asking for a picture of the homework. Right after you sent the picture he told you everything was wrong with a smiley face at the end. So, you and Sugawara spent the rest of the night on the phone going through every single question you did wrong. You made sure to text Tanaka before you started so that he didn't get dressed for nothing.

You had stayed up so late you didn't know if you'd be able to function at school. You went anyway, not wanting to miss anything. It was all for nothing, you ended up falling asleep in class and Sugawara had to help you to the nurse and saw Tanaka on the way. You hadn't spoken to him or seen you all day and this being the first time he's seen you today worried him. So he tried to talk to you on your way to the nurse but you could barely respond. He walked with you two to the nurse's office and stayed for a bit before leaving when he realized you wouldn't be up for a bit.

All day he had been worried about you, he could barely focus on his classes. At practice he managed to talk to Kiyoko without being weird and thought you'd be proud of him. When Sugawara came in late and explained it was because he was just making sure you were okay and catching you up on classwork, Tanaka was a bit jealous. He was also sad because you wouldn't be at practice but still.

Over the next few weeks you and Tanaka had slowly started drifting apart as you got closer to Sugawara and Kiyoko. Both of you were afraid that revealing your feelings for each other would ruin the friendship so you were sort of avoiding each other. Both of you hated the distance and felt equally guilty for it. The guilty glances and skittish speech around each other was becoming unbearable.

Over the weekend Tanaka had been walking around a park to work up the nerve to talk to you again and figure out what he was gonna say. As he spoke to himself, he saw you sitting on a bench, staring off into the distance. He stopped in his tracks, fingers rubbing against his palms as he debated going up to you. His adrenaline was the main reason he got the courage to sit next to you. He sat a bit on the edge of the bench and waited a few seconds before realizing you were zoned out. He scooted closer, you felt his body heat and it snapped you out of your daze. You looked over and smiled before staring back at the lake in front of you. He took that as a sign everything was okay. He let out a sigh and rested his head on your shoulder.

"What's bothering you, Tanaka?" You asked, still staring ahead.

"I... well... I miss us... I miss you." He spoke, you could hear a bit of sadness in his voice. He moved his hand under your's and intertwined his fingers with yours. His warmth was comforting, not just because it was chilly but because you missed him dearly.

"I-" you both began and laughed at each other

"Go ahead." He insisted

"Tanaka... I don't want to ruin our friendship. Please just hear me out and you can leave me alone and do whatever," he gripped your hand tighter as you inhaled deeply, "I have a huge crush on you and I have for the longest time but I didn't say anything because I don't wanna lose you," you said kinda fast, hoping you wouldn't have to repeat yourself. Tanaka was unusually quiet, it scared you, "Tanaka?" You looked down to see him smiling like an idiot, your pounding heart rested a bit. Tanaka moved his arms around your waist and pulled you into him as close as he could, "Are you alright?"

"..." he took in a deep breath, "I'm trying not to yell..." he mentioned, you were proud of him for remembering not to yell in your ear, "I really really like you too."

"As a girlfriend?"

"What else? Is there more than girlfriend?"

"A wife..."

"Right... then both?"

"A girlfriend and a wife?"

"Yeah. It makes sense right?"

"I- sure. Yeah it makes total sense."

He leaned over and kissed the side of your forehead, "See I knew you'd understand."