Jean Kirstein

3rd person POV

It's almost obvious that Jean has a grown a liking to Y/n, the chubby scout. She was insecure, smart, funny, charming, and a damn good soldier and even better friend. She always made Jean feel happy and warm inside but he'd never admit it. He'd say the opposite actually. In fact, he teases and insults Y/n just to prove he doesn't like her. She just ignores him and continues to be nice and help him. On the battlefield, she's always the first one to respond to his smoke signals. He'd put his pride aside and thank her. Jean was always in awe when he watched her cut down titans like it was nothing. Even covered in titan blood she was still beautiful. The way her body moved like it was nothing mesmerized him. It angers him when people disrespect or discredit her just because of her size. She always tries to calm him down and stop him from yelling at those people but it almost never works. The two have gotten closer over the years, which makes them both happy. Their shared feelings for each other kind of got in the way of their friendship but they're still trying to make it work.

Today, Y/n, Jean, and a few others were put on a temporary squad for a scouting mission. They were getting the neccessary preparations done to leave for the mission. Y/n was asked to help some help some cadets with something and the other 3 people on their squad began gossiping about her.

"She's so fat, I thought a horse was riding a horse."

"She better be careful because I might mistake her for a titan and all I can say is accidents happen, which explains why she's in the scout regiment."

"It's not an accident, they have her here for titan bait."

"How about all 3 of you miserable, talentless wannabes shut your damn mouths before I feed all of you to the titans myself?" Jean snapped. Luckily Y/n got there before he did anything stupid and he left on his horse. She sighed and followed him as the other members did the same.

*during the mission*

The squad was tasked with lending aid to everyone, regiment members or civilians. Y/n and Jean were making the decisions, sometimes they'd split up if need be. But they'd always come back together. Toward the end of the mission, titans rapidly began multiplying, causing them to fight even more. Y/n and Jean stood in tree along with their squad, trying to catch their breath. They were the only two capable of fighting at the moment. The 3 other cadets were too beat down and tired to move. They needed to get them to safety before anything happened.

"Jean, you take them. I'll cover you, I promise. If you're too tired to come back, don't worry. Just make sure you guys are safe." She flashed a tired yet soft smile.

"A-are you sure-" Y/n put her hand on his shoulder and looked him in the eyes. Her expression calmed him down as she nodded at Jean. With his new found confidence, he nodded back and moved the unconscious cadets to a wagon that hadn't been destroyed. He got on the horse that pulled the cart as Y/n waited on the back for any titans. She did want to waste any gas so she waited and caught her breath. A few minutes after they began traveling to the wall, the titans began coming from all different directions toward the squad. Y/n wasted no time and immediately began slaying the titans. Their attention was on her now and she was ready to kill. Jean turned back to see the titans swarming around Y/n and their bodies fell one after the other and evaporated. The swarm of titans was gone in no time and the girl mounted her horse and took off toward a village that was under attack. Y/n fought her hardest to keep the villagers safe. She ended up getting gashes on her leg and her stomach after sending a scout, along with villagers, back to the wall. She hid in a building to try and catch her breath and stop the bleeding. A loud child like scream kicked in and she sprung into action and cut the titans arm off, saving the child. She was losing too much blood and didn't know how much time she had left.

"Hey kid. Don't cry. I'm gonna get you to the wall no matter what. I promise. You're gonna be safe, alright?" She hugged the crying child to her chest as he nodded in her arms. "I'll protect you from these scary titans. Just try to go to sleep." She ran to her horse and mounted it once again.

Y/n and the child took as many shortcuts as they could to get to the wall. Her vision began blurring but she pushed through. She stopped her horse when she could hardly see.

"Y/n!" Jean yelled at the barely conscious girl. She didn't have to look up to know who it was.

"Jean. This kid... take the kid to the wall." Jean rode his horse right next the pair. He looked at her leg and the blood coming from her abdomen.

"You're hurt too bad. Why are you still out here? *sigh* scoot up." She weakly moved up and Jean mounted her horse. He grabbed the reins and took control. Y/n stirred a little and tried to giggle at how cute Jean was when he was being heroic and ended up passing out. Jean feared the worst as he monitors her condition and sped the horse up.

*when they get into the walls*

Jean immediately dismounted the horse and pulled her and the child down, "Please be okay. Don't give up, you're too strong." The child woke up and looked up at the two scouts. Jean told the kid to get help, and he did. Once someone came, they took Y/n to the closet infirmary.

*week time skip*

Y/n's recovery was quick thanks to Christa (Historia). A few weeks back Y/n helped her get some kind of medicinal plant to help another soldier, luckily she had some left and used it for Y/n. Jean visited her every day and stayed with her as much as he could. One day he walked into her room to see her awake, sitting up in her bed. His cheeks flushed as they made eye contact.

"Jean... I... you saved my life... thank you so much... I don't know how to make it up to you... there is something you deserve to know, and now is probably the best time to say it," she ushered Jean over and he sat in the chair next to her bed as she held his hand in hers, "I love you, Jean. I always have and-" he pulled her into his chest and cried on her shoulder, "I love you too." He cried into her shoulder as she rubbed his back, trying to soothe him. Since then, the two were inseparable.