Karma Akabane

Being the new kid is never ever fun. Especially if you have trouble making friends or are an easy target for bullying. I recently transferred to Kunugigaoka Junior High School and was immediately placed in Class 3-E. I assumed it's because of my appearance became my grades are actually pretty good. I walked into the classroom and was immediately greeted by a huge, standing, yellow octopus thing. It started talking to me and I almost passed out from shock. I understood every word he said but when I heard the name 'Karma' it was like my brain shut off. My head tilted to the side and I asked him to repeat what he had said. I only knew one person named Karma and he's not remembered fondly. He used to bully me when we were younger and he's part of the reason why I don't really socialize and have low self esteem. The only empty seat was next to him and my face contorted to a frown. My eyes observed the area and went back to the teacher, Koro sensei, with a hint of mild annoyance in them. My hands unconsciously gripped my bag and I trudged to my seat. I quietly sat down and avoided making eye contact with my childhood bully. I heard him giggle and I started getting nervous for some reason. The whole day went by pretty quickly. It was actually a pretty interesting class and I was genuinely willing to pay attention. Karma hadn't said anything to me yet. He would just look and smile when we made eye contact. I managed to make a friend named Nagisa and luckily he was with me every time Karma smiled at me. At the end of the day, I began walking home and was caught by surprise when a hand touched my shoulder. I quickly turned around and gripped the hand tightly and immediately pushed it off, as a reflex. My body somewhat relaxed when I realized who it was.

"Well well well. Look who it is. Hey there old friend, how've you been?" Karma sadistically smiled. I rolled my eyes and continued walking home.

"What the hell do you want Karma?" You could hear the annoyance in my voice.

"Is that how you talk to your friend after you haven't seen them in years? I'm so hurt Y/n." He teased.

"*sigh* Karma, really, what do you want? There's no reason for us to be talking right now."

"I just wanted to catch up with my old friend."

"No, we're not friends. We never have been and never will be. You know this. Now if you'll excuse me, I'd like to continue my peaceful walk home, alone." I picked up my pace and walked away, thankful he didn't follow me.

*Few month time skip*

Karma had been somewhat nice to me. Sure there were a few backhanded complements here and there but it wasn't anything to get worked up about. Instead of being picked on by Karma, I was getting picked on by the upper class kids. They would usually taunt me on my way home and to school so I started taking the train. Karma also started taking the train with me. I never ate lunch around Karma or the others because I was too afraid of their judgement. I usually went somewhere else or did some work so that people weren't eating in front of my face. One day me and Karma were talking about how harsh he used to be when we were kids. It was all jokes until he said something that didn't sound like he was kidding. My first genuine laugh that I had been sharing with him turned into an awkward chuckle. My feelings were actually hurt but I didn't want to tell him. So to get out of the situation, I made an excuse that I had to go help Nagisa and left. "I don't want him go back to how he was when we were kids... how can I prevent it? Oh, I'll just avoid him. For how long? Hmmm... I'll figure it out but he's definitely going to be avoided." I thought to myself.

*few week time skip*

Avoiding Karma was... an interesting decision I made but I am committed to it. He's been trying to get my attention every day but I just ignore him. A few days ago I was crying under a tree and he actually came to comfort me but I ignored him and left the area. He called my name a few times but I ignored him.