Maybe We Should Break Up

(y/n) sighed as she stared down at the book open on her desk, shifting her pen nervously between her thumb and fingers. I hate doing the books.

The pitter-patter of rain hitting the window was the only sound that filled the room.

Her mind drifting as it did recently to Alex, and the lack of contact it had been a week since that night in the bar and not once had Alex called her, visited her or anything that would prove (y/n) wrong.

Tears clouded her vision again, the thought of the woman seeing her as nothing more than a brief distraction was too much to bear.

Silently cursing her friend, she should never have listened to Lena when she said she should give Alex a chance, she should never have opened herself up to the pain, (y/n) tried to calm herself with the knowledge that they had only been together a few weeks.

She needed to know what was happening she couldn't be left hanging abandoning the account book she picked up her keys and headed out the door.

xxxx

(y/n) ducked quickly behind the pillar when she saw the door to Alex's apartment open, unsure why she felt the need to hide she had come here with the express purpose of seeing the woman, why hide?

When two sets of voices met her ears she became suspicious, narrowing her eyes she peeked her head around the corner wishing she had just stayed away, there was Alex currently holding a very happy looking Maggie.

So this is what she has been doing for a week.

Unable to turn away (y/n) was a reluctant viewer as the two women continued to embrace, breaking apart Alex trailing her hand down her cheek, (y/n) watched helplessly nervously biting the sides of her cheek with her teeth, trying to stem the onslaught of the tears that wanted to fall.

Turning away she leaned against the wall for support breathing deeply to try to calm herself, while she waited.

Ten minutes past before she found the courage to stand in front of Alex's door, lifting her hand she knocked and waited.

She heard the footsteps before the door swung open and Alex stood there looking far too good, (y/n) had to remind herself of what she had just witnessed.

"(y/n) what happened to you? It seems like you fell off the face of the earth." Alex screeched.

"Yeah sure."

Holding the door open Alex ushered the chef inside.

"So what's up?" Alex asked cautiously ashamed she had avoided her for a week, she had felt weird meeting Maggie again and being with (y/n) had felt strange as though she were cheating in a very irrational way.

With Alex pictured in Maggie's arms (y/n) took a deep breath and tried the best acting of her life.

"I've been doing some thinking and you know I'm not so sure I should be in a relationship."

" What! but (y/n). "

Alex flustered alarmed that she was about to lose the chef before she had a chance to actually have her.

"I'm sure you'll be okay, probably got some candidates lined up as my replacement." Maggie Sawyer perhaps.

" It's probably for the best I do monogamy really badly. " And so do you.

"What has changed in a week to make you come to this decision?" Alex was having a hard time trying to understand how they had been fine one minute and ending the next.

"Everything and nothing at the same time."

"That doesn't mean anything." Alex protested, moving forward catching a firm hold of the chef's arm trying to convey her displeasure at the words she was saying.

"Listen please just give us a chance."

(y/n) sighed the feel of Alex's arm was all too comforting, all too tempting to give in and forget she had come here to save her heart.

"At least tell me the real reason."

" Alex it's okay if you still want to be with Maggie, but I can't wait here until you decide to finally go. " (y/n) choked in the sob that threatened to escape.

"What! (y/n) are you crazy." Alex stood shocked suddenly realizing that everything made sense now, (y/n) had become distant and strange since that night at the bar.

"Listen to me (y/n)." Softening her voice and moving closer lifting her downcast chin up with her hand gently. "If I wanted to be with Maggie I never would have ended things, I loved her yes but we wanted different things."

" She was just here. " The words escaped on a depressed whisper.

"Oh sweetie Maggie asked me to help her on a case and I said yes, that is why she was here not because we were in some heated affair."

"So you don't wish you were still with her?" The chef waited as an agonized silence stretched out between them, shyly lifting her hand to tuck her (h/c) hair behind her ear she met Alex's stare. She still hadn't said anything.

"Before I met you I would have said yes, but you are different (y/n)." Caressing her cheek ( y/n) leaned into the intimate touch enjoying the affection the woman was showing her.

"Is this it, you think I would rather Maggie?"

" Yes. "

(y/n) felt embarrassed, a totally immature child who had to stand in front of her perfect woman and confess the full ugly truth.

A slight smile spread across Alex's face. "You are jealous."

"I am not!" (y/n) pouted, causing Alex to laugh out loud at how cute she looked.

"Maybe words aren't enough, maybe I should show you how much I want you."

Closing the small gap between them Alex leaned in and placed her lips on (y/n)'s, sweet at first but as the chef released a pained moan. Burying her hands in her long luscious hair she deepened the kiss running her tongue along her bottom lip like a starving woman (y/n) accepted the invitation and opened her mouth, as Alex pushed her against the door.

Her hands cupping her butt cheeks firmly, squeezing occasionally soliciting a deep guttural groan from (y/n) who was so lost in the red haze of her passion her arms wrapped tightly around Alex's neck licking her in place.

Breathless Alex broke the kiss, met the dilated eyes of her lover and smiled. "Come on it's more comfortable in the bedroom."

She lead (y/n) across the apartment and into her bedroom where for the first time together they would spend their first intimate night together.