Practise At Heartbreak

In the weeks since her split the pain hadn't lessened if anything it had grown more intense, the only upside was she managed to avoid Alex and her now ex ex-girlfriend, the lingering thought that she was now the ex managed to pierce an even bigger hole in her heart.

She'd done everything she could to avoid them and so far had succeeded, whenever Supergirl or Kara as she was now, took her to the D.E.O she took her when she knew Alex wouldn't be around and the largeness of National City had made it so she never saw them together even at a distance, which suited her ailing fragile heart.

"I'm not sure I can do it." (Y/n) said softly, she'd never liked flying so flying under her own steam seemed even more daunting than being in a plane or helicopter.

Kara smiled encouragingly. "You've mastered all the hard stuff (Y/n) flying is the easy bit I promise, hold my hand and I won't let go, you know you should be able to fly better than me" She held her hand out and slowly the chef took it gently into her own hand.

"What that is crazy."

"Nope you have had more exposure under a yellow sun, just like Kal-el therefore flying should be super easy."

"Yeah super easy so says a super." (Y/n) scoffed.

"Trust me okay."

"Okay."

"So do it."

"Listen Kara this is easy for you, I'm new I never even thought a human could fly so why would I ever consider that I could do it, so don't be all teacherish to me, because to me it sounds crazy, maybe because I am half Kryptonian it works differently."

Kara smiled at her smugly looking down at her feet, (Yn) frowned and followed her gaze only to find that she wasn't on the ground any longer she was hovering easily above it.

"What the hell!"

"You did it, now go higher."

"But how am I doing it?"

"It's like breathing (Y/n) it is natural."

"If it was natural I'd have feathers and wings." She held on tightly to Kara's hand as she felt and saw herself go higher.

"Be careful you don't hit the ceiling." Kara laughed.

"This is not a laughing matter how do I get down?"

"Just do as you did when you were going upwards."

"Not great advice Kara I didn't know I was going up."

Kara laughed again, there was something really quite wonderful about teaching (Y/n) how to properly use her powers, helping her engage fully in who she was, and also passing along their culture that had long since perished, the more she became confident in her powers and who she was the more eager she was to learn about the family and the culture she would never know.

She felt like a mentor guiding her charge, or an older cousin teaching her younger counterpart, which is really what she was.

Suddenly Kara looked away distracted. "I'm sorry (Y/n) I have to go, I will try not to be long."

"Sure okay." (Y/n) shrugged, it wasn't the first time she'd had to leave to take care of an emergency.

Left alone (Y/n) carried on her flying practice, rising up somewhat and then lowering herself back down, rising and then lowering until it became as easy as blinking.

"Let's lift this up a notch." She smiled to herself going up higher and moving forward her arms held out at her side as though she needed them to hover in the air successfully.