Number Nine

Cat entered her apartment with a sigh of relief, happy to be home after a far too long a day working, her feet were aching like no one's business, she gladly eased out of her shoes and embraced the sweet feeling of freedom.

"Carter I hope you have done your homework." She shouted.

She threw her bag down and headed for the kitchen, (F/n) sat at the table his head in his hands hunched over.

"What's wrong?" She asked awkwardly, hating seeing the rise and fall of his shoulders, he was trying to hide the tears he shed, she crouched down beside him, her hand gently rubbing his arm.

"I didn't want this Cat." He said, his eyes red.

"What didn't you want sweety?" She asked softly.

"I wanted Alex to pay for what she did to (Y/n) but I didn't want this, I...I didn't want her to be hurt."

"What has happened? Is (Y/n) okay?"

"Yes, but Alex....she is missing."

Cat's eyes widened with understanding,

"What am I going to do Cat I dreaded my daughter being a victim now I have to watch her heart be broken because the woman she loves is, so she is a victim." He turned to her leveling his watery eyes on her looking for comfort.

Cat stayed silent for a moment, she didn't know what she could say that would clear away his tears. "I think you keep doing what you are doing, you have worked every hour of the day, in this case, there is nothing more you can do."

He shook his head. "No Cat that doesn't work because it doesn't result in me getting all nine of these women back, if it did they would be safe home, then I have to face the fact that typically after abduction a person is killed within the first few hours."

" I know but wh.. "

"I have to look their loved ones in the eye Cat, my God I have to watch as I make their whole world fall apart."

" No, you do not make their world fall apart. " Cat said with determination. "You try desperately with every power you have to glue it back together."

"It's not enough. " He sighed.

"Where is (Y/n)?"

" She called earlier she and Lena are with Alex's sister. "

"Oh God Kara!" Cat suddenly realized in her concern for her husband she had forgotten about Kara, momentarily displaced the fact that Alex Danvers was Kara's elder sister. " Are they safe with a Luthor around? "

"My daughter has been friends with that woman since before time began it seems, there is no one safer for them to be around." The man said seriously rubbing away the tears that remained in his eyes, he had his doubts about her in the past even tried to stop them seeing each other, after Lillian's successful attempt to cleanse (Y/n) from Lena's small social circle he had seen how broken his daughter was without her, his guilt had flooded him and he had encouraged her to ignore the crazed woman and luckily they had.

"And they've never...." Cat rolled her hands around to finish her words, ( F/n) stared blankly at her. "You know..dated or..."

" What, no are you crazy they are like sisters, when she goes away anywhere the first person she calls to say she is safe is Lena, this has always been the way, why are you asking (Y/n) has a girlfriend? "

"I thought you were against her?"

" I hate the way she treated her of course, but if I were so arrogant to say we cannot make mistakes then I would be a fool. "