Landing Softly.

Silence filled the kitchen as the room stood in an abandoned darkness, everyone had left by the look of pans left unwashed and utensils still lying around they had left as soon as they could before she returned she thought mournfully.

(Y/n) pursed her lips together to try and quell the onslaught of tears that were building in her eyes ready to overflow, the drink helping more than a little addition to her depressive state.

She looked around the empty room she'd once so vibrant and alive in here, it had felt like hers and she'd worked hard for it but now it felt like a prison and after what she had done, what she could have done, she could have killed her, she didn't belong in here.

She didn't belong anywhere near good people.

Wiping away the tears that now spilled over her eyelids and fell down her cheeks freely, she walked towards her office, she knew what she had to do for the safety of everyone.

She needed to resign.

Give up the one job that had made her feel anything in her life because if she continued like this something bad would happen even worse than had already happened.

Her office seemed cold tonight, memories came flooding back to her of her time in this small room, their encounter with their ghost being the most memorable.

She turned around abruptly at the sound of footsteps, given the lateness and the few texts she had ignored from Alex she guessed it was her, part of her dreaded seeing her now and another part of her wished for no one but her.

"What the hell happened here tonight?" The voice asked that was not Alex asked sternly, anger piercing through her eyes, her pregnant stomach pillowing outward.

(Y/n) shrugged, the words wouldn't come if she spoke she would cry, she would let everything out and she didn't want Cat to see her cry or be vulnerable, she would feel smug and superior.

Cat watched her waiting for an explanation, she'd gotten frantic calls from her kitchen staff telling her about what had happened, she hadn't believed it at first, but now seeing her Stepdaughter she knew it was true beyond a shadow of a doubt.

(Y/n)'s shoulders shook as she lowered her head fighting a losing battle the tears were flowing and her chest heaved.

"What's going on (Y/n?)" Cat asked anxiously.

"I did it, I hurt her, I could have killed her." (Y/n) sobbed out holding her hand over her mouth to hold in the sob that choked her, saying it out loud to someone made it all the more real.

"Why did it happen?" Cat whispered.

" I was back there again, everything was so intense and I could even smell it, the blood and horror, and then she touched me and...and it happened. "

Cat sighed watching her husband's daughter break down like this was not a good thing, (Y/n) was above all things strong and independent even as a teenager she had been so damn stubborn and knew where she was going in life, but here and now she was a mess.

(Y/n) slid to the ground her back leaning against her desk as she buried her head in her hands and cried.

Cat watched her, her own eyes watering she moved towards her and crouched down in front of her prying her hands away from her face to see a tear-stained sad face. "Sometimes our minds are complex things, when people go through traumatic events they don't act as they normally would."

" I hurt her. "

Cat's heart ached to watch the big tears flow from her (e/c) eyes was too much, she lifted her hand to wipe them away. "What have you been drinking honey you stink?"