Alex's Plan

"So it's just you and me." Kara smiled as she passed ( Y/n) the wet plate.

"Yep."

" It's a shame Kal-el couldn't stay longer. "

"It's still so strange to think we are related." ( Y/n) confided.

"Is that a bad strange or a good strange?"

"It's good I have nothing to feel bad about so far, but I guess it was just me and my Dad for a long time after my Grandmother died my Grandfather just withered away."

" He really loved her? "

"I guess he did, it's strange you hear those stories about people who were so in love that when one died the other just can't go on, he died not long after in a car accident."

" Oh (Y/n) I'm so sorry. "

"It's okay they were together eventually right." ( Y/n) turned her attention to the towel and dried what plates and cutlery she had left.

"Have you ever felt like that about anyone?" Kara asked softly.

" I thought so. "

"Was it with...."

( Y/n) cut her off quickly knowing where she was going. "I don't actually think those relationships work."

" But why? "

"Because you build the person up lean on them so much that when they are gone you have nothing, with Alex I felt something empowering, something that I could touch, for the first time in my life I loved someone, besides the obvious in my Dad and Lena of course."

" Then she went crazy. " Kara smiled.

"Or sane, who knows I kinda wonder why anyone would actually want me anyway my Mom split, if your own mother doesn't want you then there must be big problems."

" Kharys was the crazy one with problems (Y/n), not you. "

"Maybe." Lena had spent a decade trying to drum that into her but it remains her biggest demon, it was why she had quickly embraced Kara as family even Kal-el to a lesser extent but ignored her mother.

Kara watched her, she remembered back when she had dated Alex she was always smiling, even when she had been stressed or overworked she still looked happy, she hadn't appeared this way for a while.

She opened her mouth to start a few times but changed her mind deciding she shouldn't interfere, but Alex was her sister and yes she'd been an idiot but she wasn't a bad person and it was so obvious (Y/n) still loved her.

Watching the woman in the corner of her eye. "So....Alex broke up with Maggie."

" I know. "

"How?"

" She told me today. "

"Oh, so what are you going to do?"

" Keep on dating Sara. "

"(Y/n) I really think you should give Alex a second chance you obviously love her and she made a mistake she knows that."

"When I think of her I remember her and Maggie, I really can't go there again Kara, I'm sorry I know she is your sister but it's over she hurt me too badly."

Alex stood hidden behind the door, she'd been returning from the bathroom when she heard them talking.

Just after overwhelming sadness and disgust set in she realized something, yes she'd been a fool, a massive one but there was something she was prepared to do that Kharys had proved herself incapable of doing.