Secrets

The ground crunched and moved under her feet, the mud made it squish and splash, brown specks covered her shiny black boots. 

Even in daylight, this place was eerie, so at night under the cover of a thick dark blanket in the sky lit only by the few scattered white lights of the stars it took on a whole new level of creepy. 

Lena took a deep breath, wishing she had (Y/n) with her, as children adventures such as these were conducted together, she recalled the hazardous adventure into the janitor's basement at their school on their quest to confirm if he was indeed having an affair with the lunch lady. 

The insane result is what happens when it's Christmas and it turns out the headmaster dressed as Santa Claus, and the janitor are deeply in love, they never went back into that basement again and nor did they ever make eye contact with the janitor ever again, it was harder to avoid the headmaster they were sent to him a lot. 

She wasn't here now, she needed her to be wanted her to be, would she hear her if she called out? Did super hearing stretch so far?

"Daughter." A voice called from behind her. 

Lena turned around slowly it wasn't the first tie she had met her mother, not the first time she had lied to her cousin and greatest friend about where she was going so she could visit with her mother. 

"You are late."

"I err...well I was finishing up some work." Trying not to let (Y/n) figure out what I really was doing. 

"Lateness is a human affliction, I find I hate it more and more I come into contact with the creatures."

Lena paled at her mother's words, she sounded like Lillian only in reverse, why couldn't she have a normal mother one who loved baking and puppies, who melted at the sight of little babies covered in chocolate?

Aethyr approached her slowly her hand held out in front of her, a slight smile on her face she had managed to convince her daughter to at least speak with her and with Kharys failing with (Y/n) Lena would be instrumental in bringing her wayward far too independent Niece on board with their plan. Lena just didn't know it yet. 

"You are handling your powers well?"

"Yes, I am." Lena smiled she felt so proud of herself for doing it. 

"Good, you are a smart woman, this I know is your Krypton DNA, a human would never know half of what you possess in that great mind of yours." Aethyr beamed proudly her green eyes managing to shine despite the darkness. 

"Thank you." I think. 

"Tell me, daughter, what about your cousin does she possess as much strength over her powers as you do?"

Lena frowned, what is she asking me?

"I would say she has far more control over her powers than I do."

"And Kharys' suspicion that she now flies beside Supergirl as Superwoman is this true?" Aethyr asked turning her gaze back to her child, staring into her eyes, Lena shifted her feet and turned her eyes away. 

"No, I'm afraid that is not true, (Y/n) is a chef, not a superhero, in fact, the very thought of her as a superhero is quite amusing, she cried once because she broke a nail." It wasn't really a lie she had cried because she broke a nail, but the nail had been ripped clean from her finger, there had been blood everywhere. 

"My sister is never wrong, she knows the face of her own daughter." Aethyr said stubbornly, she knew the truth she just needed confirmation. 

"Well, I guess she is now." Lena shrugged.