Chapter 4: One Truth Fits All

Key:

(Y/H/T)= Your Home Town

(Y/N)'s  POV:

I  made  it  to  Hillstreet  Blues   with  the  help  of  some  passerbyers.  I  was  unfamiliar  with  LA,  but  LA  knew  me  somehow.  

I  walked  in  and  scanned  the  room  to  find  the  familiar  Aussie's  eyes.  As  I  looked  around,  I  locked  eyes  with  him  as  he  waved  at  me.  He  was  in  the  back  corner  booth  where  the  lights  were  dimmer.    

  I  walked  up  to  the  server  to  let  them  know  I  was  with  Johnny  Martin.  They  escorted  me  to  the  table.    

"Ello  darling,"  Andy  greeted   me,  kissing  my  hand  and  handing  me  a  pink  rose.

"Hi  Andy,  you  look  great  by  the  way,"  I  replied,  obviously  blushing.  

"I  hope  you  don't  mind  this  seat.  We  get  more  privacy  back  here  without  fans  knowing  me,"  Andy  whispered  quitely.  

"It's  fine  Andy,  its  better  for  us  to  get  to   know  each  other  better,"  I  whispered  back.  

"Why  are  we  whispering?"  Andy  responded,  laughing.  

I  smiled  and rolled  my  eyes and  giggled,  "I  don't  know, it's  fun  I  suppose." 

He  then  grabbed  my  hand  softly. 

My  heart  was  beating  out  of  its  chest.   Naturally,  you'd  think  you'd  know  what  to  say  in  conversation  with  someone  like  Andy.  He  is  human  after  all.  

"Why  don't  we  order  darling?"  Andy  asked  as  he  handed  me  a  menu.

My  eyes   went  wide  at  the  prices.    I  felt  guilty  for   ordering  a  plate  that  could  be  $12.00  for  pasta.    I   kept  scanning  the  menu,  trying  to  find  some  reasonable.  For  1978,  these  prices   were  quite  expensive.   I  spotted   a  chicken  salad  with  the  soup  of  the  day  for  under  $12.00.

Andy  called  he  waiter  over  for  us  to  order.  Such  a  gentleman,  he  asked  me  what  I  wanted  and  order  for  me.  

"Are  you  sure  darling  you  don't  want  anything  else?"  Andy  asked  concerned.  

"I'm  good  Andy,  don't  worry,"  I  replied  quickly.  

"Well  I  was  just  making  sure  love.  You  can  always  order  something  else  if  you  aren't  full,"  Andy  added.  

"You  know  you  are  quite  a  gentleman  Andy,  thank  you  for  being  so  kind."  I  had  to  reassure  the   Aussie.  

As  we  waited  for  our  food,   we   made  small  talk  about  where  we  were  raised,  hobbies  etc.  I  had  to  piece  together  my  life  based  on  things  I  found  in  my  apartment  and  Karen's  visit  earlier  today.

"So  what  do  you  do  for  a   living?"  Andy  asked  curiously. 

My  brain  was  all  over  the  place.  I  had  to   add  some  details  of  myself  from  the  present  and  mix  it  with  the  current  time.  

"I'm  actually  a backup singer  for  the  Carpenters.    I've  been  singing  with  them  for  around  a  year  on  tours  and  at  the  MGM  in  Las  Vegas.  I  bet  you  don't  believe  me,"  I  told  Andy.

Andy  looked  at  me  quite  puzzled,  "How  could  you  not  know  me  then  if  you  are  in  the music  industry?"

I  sighed,  realizing  I  should  tell  some  truth,  "I  actually  do  know  who  you  are  Andy.  I  just  didn't  want  to  overwhelm  you  like  all  the  typical  teenybopper  girls  that  chase  you.  I  really  do  like  you  for  you,  not  just  your  music.  I  feel  something  in  my  heart  about  you  after  literally  falling  for  you."

Andy  was  taken  back  and  seemed  to  absorb  what   I  said.  I  really  did  not  want  to  upset  him  but  I  feel   like  I  was  living  in  a  lie  already.  

He  grabbed  my  hand.  Again,  butterflies  flew  threw  my  stomach.   I  braced  myself  for  the  worse.  

"(Y/N),  I  appreciate  you  for  being  so  thoughtful  darling  but  we  are  in  the  same  industry.  How  do  you  know  I  didn't  have  a  fanboy  moment  when  we  met  on  the  street?"  Andy  replied  smirking.  

I  facepalmed.  I  mean,  he  was  right.  But  little  does  he  know  I  have  no  recollection  of  the  current  me  was  like. 

"Well,  thats  true,"  I  stated  with  a  laugh.  "However,"  I  continued, "We  are  all  human   and  I  feel  like  even  though  you  are  a  star,  being  treated  as  a  regular  person   is  underlooked for  celebrities."

"You  are  quite  smart   and  I  love  your  thinking.  It's  nice  to  forget  that  girls  faint  over  me  all  the  time,"  Andy  replied  chuckling.

Just  about  this  time,  our  food  arrived.   We  dug  in  and  continued  our  magical  dinner  date.

We  kept  up  with  small  talked.  He  explained  to  me  how  he  was  hoping  we  could  take  it  slow  and  quiet.  I  honestly  don't  know  if  I  could  believe  him.  As  popular  and  good  looking  as  he  is,  how  could  he  want  to  be  with  me? 

Both  of  us  being  in  the  public  could  stir  the  tabloids.  I  really  didn't   know  what  being  in  the  limelight  was.  I  would  soon  find  out. 

Luckily  throughout  the  dinner,   we  were  able  to  enjoy  each  others  company.  No  one  noticed  us, well  really  Andy.   

Something  I  hadn't  really  thought  about  came  up  during  dinner.  Andy  asked  me  about  my  family.  My  family  back  home.  It  seems   as   if  I  was  out  here  by  myself.   I  had   to  come  up  with  a  lie.  

"My  family  stayed  in  (Y/H/T).   They  let  me  live  my  dream   and  I  really  haven't  talked  to  them,"  I  told  Andy  with  a  fake  crack  in  my  voice.

He  looked  at  me  sympathetically  and  responded, "Oh  I'm  sorry  love,  I  really  didn't  mean  to  make  you  uncomfortable  if  I  did." 

It  didn't  make  me  uncomfortable.  My  heart  sort  of  broke  having  to  lie.  My  family  must  be  worried  to  where  I  went.  Or  perhaps ,  time  stood  still  and  I  wasn't  missing.   

"No  Andy  its  ok.  Don't  worry,"  I  reassured  him  he  didn't  do  anything  wrong. 

We  continued  with  our  conversation  and  dinner.  It  all  still  seemed  to  be  a  dream.