Chapter 6: The New Beginning

(Y/N)'s  POV:

*The  Morning  of  Rehearsal*

I  woke  up  early  around  7.   Even  though  Karen  said  we'd  grab  breakfast,  I  decided  it  would  be  better  if  I  got  in  a  cup  of  coffee  and  some  toast   just  to  calm  my  nerves.   I  didn't  exactly  ask  to  be  a  upcoming  star.  I  just  wished   it  was  1978,  not  knowing  this  was  what  I  was  waking  up  to.

I  went   and  took  a  quick  shower  and  blow-dried  my  hair. 

I  decided  to  experiment  with  my  makeup.  I  did  a  light  brown  eyeshadow  with  winged  eyeliner.  I  found  a   cute  pair  of  black  distressed  overalls,  a  yellow  sunflower  shirt,  and  of  course  my  new  favorite  pair  of  converse.

It  was  now  about  8:20am  and  I  heard  a  honk  in  the  distance.  Karen  was  here  to  pick  me  up.    I  grabbed  my  keys  and  purse  and  met  her  down  at  the  street.

"Well  good  morning  (Y/N),"  Karen  said  as  I  got  into  her  black  Jaguar.

I   instantly  yawned  for  some  reason,  but  replied,  "Morning  KC,  it's  too  early  for  this  haha."

"We  are  eating  at  The Market Place Grill  Cafe   here  in  Downey  (Y/N),  hope  you  like  them,"  KC  continued  on.  

I  absolutely  had  no  idea  of  restaurants  in  Downey  but  I  was  down  to  try  something  new.  Well,  everything  I  do  is  new  anyhow.  

We  drove  down  mainstreet  to  Downey.  I  can't  believe  how  beautiful  the  city  is.    I  always  dreamed  of  Califorina  and  the  water.  

KC  was  jamming  to  the  hits  of  the  day   radio  station.  Ironically,  a  commercial  her  and  Rich  recorded  came  on  as  we  were  listening.

"Hi  there  this  is  Karen  and  Richard  Carpenter  and  you  are  listening  to  101.1  FM,  Today's  Hits,"  the  radio  spoke.    The  radio  DJ  played  their  newest  single,  "Sweet  Sweet Smile."  

I  wanted  to  fangirl  so  badly  because  they  were  such  important  influences  in  my  life  in  2021.  Their  music  helped  shape  me  into  who  I  am   today.  But,  I  literally  work  for  them  now  in  this  universe. 

"Oh  yeah  (Y/N)  we  are  still  on  top  of  the  world,"  Karen  said.

I  looked  at  her  and  smiled .   

We  arrived  at  the  cafe.  I  looked  in  my  purse  for  a  facemask.  Again,  I  forgot   it  wasn't  2021.  

We  decided  to  dine   on  the  patio.   The  crisp  ocean  water  filled  my  senses.

After  we  ordered,  Richard  actually  met  up  with  me  and  Karen.  Boy,  was  I  starstruck  again.   He  was  the  musical  genius  behind  the  Carpenters.  His  arranging  skills  and  Karen's  voice  were  match  made  in  heaven.  

"Hey (Y/N),  long  time  no  see!"  Richard  exclaimed,  reaching  out  to  hug  me.

"Aye  I  know  huh!  Hope  you  are  well,"  I  replied  back.  

Over  brunch,  we  mainly  discussed  how  Karen  wanted  to  go  back  to  mainly  drumming,  which  they  proposed  to  me  that  I  could  take  lead  on  some  of  the  songs  during  concerts.  My  stomach  went  to  the  ground.  I  never  had  real  vocal  training.  Everything  I  have  done  was  behind  closed  doors  to  the  vinyl  records  I  owned.  But,  obviously  they  saw  something  in  me  that  I  hadn't. 

"So  Karen,  we  want  to  continue  the  drum  solo  segments  at  the  concerts.  But,   we  feel  like  people  can't  really  enjoy  your  talent," Richard  responded  to  Karen.

I  was  upset.  Karen  always  considered  herself  to  be  a  drummer who  sang.    I  really  didn't  feel  like  I  had  the  talent  to   perform  to  be  top  tier  as  Karen  does.  

"Look,  I  feel  like  I  could  use   this   chance  to  break  my  shell  of  shyness  even  more,"  I  told  both  KC  and  Richard. 

Karen's  smile  turned   incredibly  big.   I  wholeheartedly  believe   I  was  placed  here  to  change  fate.

"(Y/N),  you  don't  know  how  much  that  means  to  me,"  Karen  responds,  side  hugging  me.

"Well  today  at  rehearsal  (Y/N),   we  will  have  you  try  lead  on  some  of  the  songs  to  see  which  vocal  range   is  strongest  for  leads,"  Richard  glanced   while  sipping  some  hot  coffee.  

A  waiter  came  to  the  table  with  a  phone,  confusing  us  3.

"Uh  Miss. (Y/N),  a  Johnny  Martin  is  on  the  phone  for  you,"  he  responded.

"Johnny  Martin?" Karen  and  Richard  responded  in  unison.

I  scrunched  my  nose,  "It's  Andy. "

Karen  smirked  while  Richard  looked  confused.  I  took  the  phone  and  answered.  

"Ello  love,"  Andy  excitedly  exclaimed  on  the  other  end.  

I  giggled  and  smirked, "Well  hello  Johnny.  Hope  you  are  well.  I  had  a  lot  of  fun  last  night."

"I  just  had  to  tell  my  lady  love  good  morning.  I  called  your  apartment  but  forgot  you  were  going  to  brunch  this  morning,"  Andy  replied  quitely.  

My  smile  went  from  ear  to  ear.   "Andy  you  are  too  much.  I  appreciate  you  calling  me.   I  hate  to  cut  this  short  but  I'm  headed  to  rehearsal  with  Karen  in  a  few,"  I  replied.    

"Ok  darling,  well  good  luck  and  I'll  call  you  later  tonight,  be  safe  love,  bye"  Andy  responded.

"Bye  Andy,"  I  said  quickly  so  I  could  finish  my  breakfast.  

We  finished  eating  and  me  and  KC  headed  to  her  car  and  followed  to  rehearsal.

*In Rehearsal*

I  could  hardly  keep  my  nerves  being  jittery.  

Maybe  I  had  too  much  coffee? I  had  to  keep  telling  myself   I  was  brought  to  1978  for  a  reason. 

In  rehearsal,  I  did  what  I  used  to  do  behind  closed  doors  listening  to  records.  I  closed  my  eyes  when  singing  to  the  familiar  tunes.     I  couldn't  hold  the  note  to  their  new  song,  "I  Believe  You."  But,  I  could  hold  the  notes  to  "Top  of  the  World," "Close  to  You,"  etc. 

"Hey  you  know  Rich,  (Y/N)  is  getting  the  hang  of  it," Karen  elbowed  Rich.  

I  was  not  a  professional  singer,  but  I  could  get  use  to  this  lifestyle.  

We  contiuned  rehearsing.  My  favorite  part  was  singing  "Goodbye  to  Love."  Jamming  to  the  guitar  solo  with  THE  Tony  Peluso  in  my  presence  was  fascinating.  I  had  the  tambourine  solo  as  Karen  often  did  during  performances  while  her  and  Cubby  Obrien  jammed  on  the  drums.  

This  was  a  new  beginning  of  a  new  life .