Chapter 65 Shelve It or Not?

*May 1980*

(Y/N)  and  Andy  go  back  to  California  for  a  listening  party  for  Karen's   solo  album.

(Y/N)'s POV:

We  are  back  in  Cali  temporarily  as  Karen  called  asking  for  me  to  attend  the  official  listening  playback  of  her  solo  album.  I'm  not  going  to  lie,  I'm  a  bit  worried.  In  the  old  world,  Karen   had  to  shelve  her  solo.

My  album  was    actually  being  mixed  right  now   as  well.  I   can't  wait to  hear  how  it  came out.

Me  and  Andy  were  in  the  car,  headed  to  the  studio.

"I'm  so  excited  to  hear  Karen's  album  finalized,"  I  told  Andy.

"Me  too  darling.   Aren't   you  backing  vocals  on  one  of  the  songs?"  Andy  asked.

"Oh  yeah  that's  right  I  forgot!" I  told  him.

"Which  song  are  you  most  excited  for  darling?"  Andy  asked  me.

"Hmmm  maybe  Still  in  Love  With  You.  It's  similar  to  a  regular  Carpenters  song,"  I  said  powdering  my  nose.

"Oh  that  sounds   like  a  beautiful  song,"  Andy  said  turning  the  blinker  on  to  turn  into  the  A&M  Record  parking  lot. 

We  parked  next  to  Karen's  Jaguar  and  headed  inside.

Music  could  be  heard  by  all  the  surrounding  studios.  

We  headed  to Studio  C  where  Karen,  Richard  and  even  me  do  our  recording  and  playback.

I  cordially  knocked  and  Karen  let  us  in.  Herb,  Phil and  Richard  and  the  mix  producer  were  sitting.

Richard  looked  very  displeased  but  sometimes  he  just  looked  that  way. 

"Hi  Karen!"  I  exclaimed.

"Hey  girl!  Oh  hey  Andy!"  Karen  greeted  us  and  hugged  me.

"Ello  Karen.  Super  stoked  to  hear your  album,"  Andy  said  hugging  her.

"I  can't  wait  for  you  guys  to  hear  it!  (Y/N)  you  sounded  AMAZING  on  the  playback  of  Lovelines  and  Still  in  Love  With  You,"  Karen  said  happily.

No  matter  what  Herb  or  Richard  said  about  this  album,  I  would  push  forth  and  be  a  cheerleader  for  it  to  get  released.

"I'm  looking  forward  to  hearing  the  playback  KC!  Have  you  chosen  an  album   cover?"  I  inquired.

"We  did  the  photoshoot  a  few  months  back  and  have  a  few  in  mind.  But  it  all  depends  on  today's  review,"  Karen  said  a  bit  nervous.

"I'm  sure   it's  a  lovely  album  Karen.  You  could  sing  the  phone book  for  goodness sakes,"  Andy  said  with  a  smile,  trying  to  reassure  Karen.

"Thanks  guys  your  words  mean  a  lot," Karen  said.

"Of  course  KC.  I  always  got  your  back,"  I  told  Karen  smiling.

Phil  motioned  for  Karen  to  go  join  him.  It  was  time  for  her  first  official  playback  of  her  solo  album.

"Hello  guys  and  gals, aha,  welcome  to  the  first  playback  of  my  solo  album.  With  Phil  and  of  course  (Y/N),  this  wouldn't  have  been  a  dream  come  true  without  their  encouragment.  I  hope  you  guys  like  it,"  Karen  announced.

Phil  started  the  first  song  playback  which  was  "Lovelines."  The  song  itself  was  the  same  as  it  was  in  the  future.  I  couldn't  hold  myself  back  from  singing  because  I  was  on  this  track  in  the  background!

I  looked  at  Karen  and  gave  her  a  thumbs  up.

She  smiled. 

I  looked  at  Andy  and  he  really  enjoying  the  song.

"Karen  sounds  wonderful  doesn't  she?"  I  asked  Andy  in  a  whisper.

"Yes  she  does  darling.  As  I  said,  she  could  sing  a  cook  book  or  even  the  phone  book  and  sound  amazing,"  Andy  whispered  back.

The  songs  kept  playing.  Her  duet  with  Peter  Cetera  still  sounded  amazing.

Karen  came  and  sat  by  me  and  Andy.

"How  are  you  guys  liking  it?"  Karen  asked  nervously.

Richard  and  Herb's  faces  were  sending  mixed  signals,  not  good  for  Karen's  confidence.

"It's  amazing  KC!  I  think  your  gonna  make  it  with  a  hit!"  I  told  her.

"Yeah  Karen  it's  a  lovely  album.  I  think  soo  too  it'll  be  a  hit,"  Andy  told  her.

"Thanks  guys!"  Karen  got  up  and  went  back  and  sat  with  Phil.

The  album  playback  was    over.  I  personally  got  nervous  on  KC's  behalf  because  Richard  could  get  a  little  overprotective.

"Karen  please  know  what  I'm  going  to  say  is  coming  from  a  place  of  love  but  this  is  not.  This  isn't  the  typical  Carpenter sound,"  Richard  started  in.

Karen's  face  fell.

Maybe  I  should  keep  my  tongue  quiet?  Oh  nope  not  today.

"Well  I  personally  love  it  Karen.  You  want  to  break  away  from  the  apple  pie  image  and  show  what  Karen  Carpenter  can  do  by  herself?  Release  this  album  KC.  It's  perfect  to  usher  in   the  new  decade.  The  only  opinon  that   matters  is  what  you  feel,"  I  spat  out  so  quick.

Everyone  looked  at  me  stunned,  including  Andy.

"Uh,  darling  are  you  feeling  ok?  That  was  not  you,"  Andy  asked  half-puzzled.

"(Y/N)'s  right  you  know.  I  love  this  album  and  I  put  hard  work  and  sweat  into  it.  This  gives  me  a  chance  to  make  it  on  my  own.  That  doesn't  say  Rich  that  I'm  leaving  the  Carpenters  either.  I  can't  be  everyone's  puppet  anymore," Karen  bursted  out.

"So  when  do  you  want  to  release  it?"  Herb  asked  quietly,  scared  of  how  Karen  would  answer.

"I  want  production  started  by  next  week  for  June  1980  release,"  Karen  said  standing  up  and  walking  out  the  studio  door.

I  followed  her  to  make  sure  she  was  ok. 

"KC  are  you  ok?"  I  asked  her.

Andy  had  followed  closely  behind  me.

"I,  I  did  it  (Y/N).  I  stood  up  for  myself  for  the  first  time  in  my  30  years  of  living  this  life,"  Karen  said  half- stunned. 

"I'm  so  proud  of  you  KC.  I  can't  wait  for  your  album  to  come  out,"  I  told  her  while  I  gave  her  a  quick  hug.

"Darling  I  thought  you  were  gonna  fight  Richard  back  in  there,"  Andy  said  laughing.

"Nah  love  he  ain't  worth  losing  the  greatest  friends  god  could  give  me,"  I  smiled  at  him.

We  all  walked  out  to  our  cars  and  went  to  grab  lunch.

I  begin  to  ponder,  is  my  time  over  in  this  world  now  that  Karen's  solo  album  is  being  release?