Chapter 170 Big Wheels Turning

*July  1983*

(Y/N)  is  at  the  studio  with  Karen,  working  on  her  new  single.

(Y/N)'s  POV:

Today  I  am  in  the  studio  working  on  my  newest  single.  Karen  and  I  will  be  playing  drums  on  it  which  is  very  exciting.  I got  most  of  the  basic  drum  moves  down. 

The  song  we  are  working  on  is  "Railroad  Tracks."   It's  a  song  I   wrote  out  of  the  blue  when  I  was  on  tour  and  we   were  playing  next  to  the  railroad  depot.

"Ok  so  what  kind  of  harmonies  do  you  hear  for  this  song?"  Karen  asked  me.

"Overdubbed  and  layered,"  I  replied  back  putting  the  headphones  around  my  neck.

"I  think  an  overdubbed  guitar  layer  will  be  good  too,"  Karen   replied.

"I  believe  so  too,"  I  said  pointing  to  sections  of  the  song  on  paper.

"Ok  so  let's  take  it  from  the  top,"  Karen  said  as  she  moved  some  buttons  and  switches  around.

I  started  singing  from  the  beginning  of  the  song.  I  had  already done one  set  of  vocals  so  this  was  another  set  to  mix  and  overdub  together.

"Alrighty  cut,"  Karen  said  from  outside  the  recording  booth.

"I  think  those  two  vocals  can  be  mixed  and  have  that  transition  we  are  looking  for,"  I  told  Karen. 

"That's  the  best  idea  for   this  song,"  Karen  replied.

I  came  out  of  the  recording  booth  and  we  went  and  chilled  for  a  while  before  working  on  the  song  more.

"Wait  oh  my  gosh  (Y/N)  how  long  have  you  had  that  on  your  wrist?"  Karen  asked  shocked.

I  totally  forgot  I  had  gotten  my  tattoo  last  week  and  I  guess  Karen  hadn't  snapped  yet.

"Oh  this  haha.  I  got  it  last  week.  I  always  wanted  a  tattoo,"  I  told  her.

"Let  me  see  it  closer,"  Karen  replied  reaching  for  my  wrist.

"It  didn't  hurt  too  bad,"  I  said pointing  to  parts  of  the  tattoo.

"I  should  go  get  one  now  or  we  could  get  matching  ones,"  Karen  replied  fascinated.

"I'd  be  down  to  get  another  one.  Terry  was  so  sweet  during  the  whole  process,"  I  told  her  as  we  walked  outside  to  the  A&M  studio  parking  lot.

What   we  didn't  know  was  there  was  some  paparazzi  people  outside  waiting  for  recording  artists  to  come  out.  I  have  been  here  for  5  years,  but  it's  still  a  pain  not  being  able  to  do  anything  without  someone  following  with  a  magnifying  glass.

"We  better  go  back  inside,"  Karen  suggested.

"Yes  please,"  I  told  her.

We  went  back  inside  and  walked  around  the  studio.  Other  people  were  working  too  so  we  just  kept  small  talk  till  we  got  back  to  Studio  A  where  we  always  did  my  recordings.

"Ok  so  for  the  rest  of  this  song,  do  you  want  stronger  drums  or  more  vocal  focus?"  Karen  asked  pointing   on  the  paper.

"Is  there  a  way  to  do  both?"  I  asked.

"Probably.  We  can  see  how  to  do  that,"  Karen  replied  jotting  down  some  notes.

"I  also  want  to  know  when   we  will  do  the  single  cover?"  I  asked  her.

"Well  Herb  has  to  either  approve  or  disapprove  this  single  and  then  we  will  go  from  there.  They  have  gotten  strict  on  guidelines,"  Karen  replied.

We  finished  recording  my  single  and  waited  for  Herb's  approval.