Chapter 168 Strike Up a Band

*July  1983*

(Y/N)  practices  playing  drums  after  working  at  the  studio  on  some  new  songs.

(Y/N)'s  POV:

Today  I  went  into  the  studio  to  work  on  some  new  material.  Herb  wants  to  release  another  single  for  the  summer/fall  season.  I  would  like  for  it  to  be  either  a  throwback  love  ballad  or  something  I  wrote  in  my  song  journal.

Karen  will  start  drum  lessons  with  me  next  week.  I  did  already  have  the  basic  percussion  ideas  from   messing  with  the  drums  on  tour  and  at  the  studio.  I  also  bought  a  beginners  drum  guide  too  so  today,  I'm  determined  to  sit  down  and  practice.  Andy  was  out  at  the  studio  so  I  would  be  alone  for  most  of  the  day.

Sam  was  rested  by  the  den's  fireplace  cause  it  was  his  favorite  spot.

I  put  the  book  on  this  cute  little  music  stand  me  and  sat  down  and  got  comfortable  with  the  drums.  I  just  played  some  beats  that  probably  didn't  sound  like  much.

I  remember  someone  saying  the  best  way  to  practice  was  put  on  songs  that  you  can  play  along  with.  I  got  the  record  player  set  up  and  put  on  a  Carpenters  album  with  their  greatest  hits.  Ticket  to  Ride  had  a  good  drum  beat  so  I  played  that  song  first.

I  kind  of  looked  at  the  book  and  just  went  along  with  the  images  of  Karen  burned  in  my  head,  playing  the  song.

For  all  I  know,  the  neighbors  will  call  to  make  a  noise  complaint  but  for  now,  this  was  my  newest  endeavor.

"He's  got  a  ticket  to  ride,  and  he  don't  care,"  I  sang  under  my  breath  while  singing with  Karen  on  the  recording.

I  wish  cellphones  existed  so  I  could  record  myself  and  playback  and  see  how  good  or  bad  I  am  doing.

I  stopped  the  record  cause  it  was  frustrating  me.  I  did  just  mess  around  a  few  times  with  the  beats,  cymbals  and  the  drum  pedal.

I  let  Sam  out  for  a  while  and  I  took  a  break.  I  knew  learning  drums  wouldn't  be  an  overnight  success  but  it's  frustrating.

I  went  and  just  practiced  holding  the  drum  sticks  and   making  sure  they  were  perfect  in  my  hands.

About  this  time,  I  heard  the  front  door  open  and  close.  Andy  was  home.

"Darling?"  Andy's  voice  rang  through  the  house.

"In  the  den  love!"  I  shouted  back.

I  heard  his  feet  shuffling  in  the  hallway  and  he  then  appeared  in  the  doorway.

He  was  holding  something  round.

"Hi  darling,  how  are  you?"  Andy  asked  me.

"I'm  good  love,  how  are  you?"  I  asked  him  as  he  bent  down  to  kiss  me  as  I  was  still  sitting  on  the  drum  stool.

"I'm  good  too  darling.  Here  this  is  for  you,"  Andy  replied.

I  took  the  round  object  and  turned  it  around.

It  was  a  drum  cover  with  my  name  on.

"Awwww Andy  you  are  so  sweet!"  I  replied  wrapping  my  arms  around  his  torso.

"Just wanted to  make  things  official  for  you  darling,"  Andy  replied  kissing  my  head.

"You  are  always  sentimental  aren't  you?"  I  replied  standing  up.

"Yerp  I  sure  am  darling,"  Andy  said  smiling.

This  is  the  most  wonderful  dream  and  if  it's  all  a  dream,  I  hope  I  never  wake  up  from  it.