Chapter 35 Number Ones

*December  1979*

 (Y/N)  finds  out   A&M  Records  want  to  offer  her  a  solo  contract  because  her  rendition  of  White  Christmas  is  topping   Christmas  radio.  Andy  is  excited  for  her.

(Y/N)'s  POV:

Karen  called  last  night  saying  Herb  (Herb  Alpert,  the  A in  A&M  Records)  wanted  to  talk  to  me  about  somethings.  I  was  very  confused.   I  didn't  have  a  contract  with  the  Carpenters  legally.  I  was  the   backing  vocals  for  the  Carpenters,  not  a  binding  contract.  I  also  did  guest  apperances  like  on  Karen's  album.

Karen  was  sure  Herb  wanted  me  to  be  under  contract  with  her  and  Richard  because  of  my  first  single  and  potential.  

I  honestly  had  no  idea  what   I  was  doing.  I  rented  a  local  recording  studio  to  record  White  Christmas.  Should  I  stay  independent?  What  songs  would  I  record?  Would  I  be  a  flop?

I  had  an  appointment  with  Herb  this  morning  at  10  at  the  studio.  Karen  was  going  to  pick  me  up  and  accompany  me.

I  soon  heard  that  familiar  honk.  I  kissed  Andy  before  heading  out  the  door.

"You'll  be  fine  love.  I'm  sure  its  something  good,"  he  told  me  trying  to  reassure  my  overthinking.

"I  know  darling  but  if  it's  something  really  good,  I  don't  want  to  dissapoint  or  be  a  flop,"  I  said  while  hugging   him.

"(Y/N),  you  will  be   fine.  You  will  get  to  start  a  wonderful  experience,"  he  told  me  kissing  my  lips  softly.

Karen  honked  again,  shaking  me  from  my  thoughts.

"I  better  go  love.   Me  and  KC  are  going  to  have  lunch  afterward,"  I  said  walking  out  the  door.

"Be  safe  darling!  Call  me  when  you  head  home,"  he  yelled  out  the  door.

I  got  into  KC's  car  and  she  was  giddy  with  excitement. 

"Good  morning  (Y/N)!   How   are  you?"  she  asked  reaching  to  hug  me. 

"I'm  good  KC!  Just  a  bit  nervous,"  I  said  buckling  my  seatbelt.

"It's  all  good  (Y/N).  Don't  worry,  I'm  sure  Herb  has  only  positive  things  to  bring  up,"  Karen  said  putting  the  car  into  drive.

"If  it  is  a  contract,  I  don't  know  how  I  feel,"  I  told  her  honestly.

"You  better  say  yes!"  Karen  said  putting   the  car  in  park.  

"Well  here  goes  nothing," I  mumbled  under  my  breathe  heading  in.

We  had  our  badges  scanned  at  the  entrance  to  get  in  and  headed  to  Studio  A  where  Herb's  office  was.

Karen  knocked  on  his  office  door,  greeting  him.

"Hello, Herbie!"  Karen   bursted  into  his  office.  

"Hello  Karen  and  (Y/N).  How  are  you  ladies  today?"  Herb  asked  politely.

"I'm  good,  how  are  you  Herb?"  I  responded  lightly.

"That's  good  you  are  good  (Y/N),"  Herb  responded.

"So  what's  up  with  this  meeting  Herbie?"  Karen  asked  curiously.

"Well,  me  and  Jerry  were  talking  and  think  it  would  be  good  if  (Y/N)  gets  a  contract  under  us,"  Herb  responded  in  her  direction. 

"Really?  You  think  I  have  the  talent?"  I  asked  in  a  shocked  tone.

"Yes  (Y/N)  we  want  you  to  become  part  of  the  A&M  family.  I  see  some  music  potential.  You  already  are  on  the  charts  for  the  holidays.  Imagine  the  chartting  you  could  do  non-holiday.  You've  had  perfect  training  with  Karen  and  Richard,"  Herb  told  me  unfolding  a  contract.

"Come  on  (Y/N)!  You  should  sign  it,"  Karen  said  encouraging  me.

"I  don't  know  guys,"  I  said  with  a  unsure  smile.  

Reading  over  the  contract,  I  realized  I've  come  to  my  final  destination.