Chapter 41 Record-Breaking

*late  1979*

(Y/N)  is  starting  to  record  some  songs   to  start  making   her  first  album.  

(Y/N)'s POV:

Today  I  began  the  process  of  my  first  record.   I  picked  Richard  to  help  co-produce  with  Karen  as  they  are  old  pros  with  it.  

The  first  three  songs  I  am  recording  are   Suddenly  (Bee  Gee's  song  from  1969),  When  Butterflies  Cry  (a  song  I  wrote   while  in  New  York  earlier  this  past   year), and   A  Wind  of  Change  (another  song  I  wrote  while  I  was  in  Florida  in  October.)

Suddenly  is  one  of  my  favorite  songs  by  the  Bee  Gees  from  their  older  stuff  before  their  first  split.  I  can  see   a  female  point  of  view  singing  it.

When  Butterflies  Cry   is  basically  a  song  about  how  people  go  through  profound  change  and  morph  into  a  new  person  and  fly   away.  By  flying  away,  it  can  hurt  other  people  but  you  soar  with  the  colors  on  your  wings.

A  Wind  of  Change   is   about  the  seasons  changing,  bringing  new  love  about.  

I  headed  to  the  studio  around  10am.  Rich  and  Karen  met  me  there.  

We  headed  in  as  usual  for   a  Carpenters  taping  and  started  our  thing.

"Ok  (Y/N)  we  think  these  three  songs  should  be  the  country  part  to  side  A  of  the  record,"  Richard  said  shuffling  some  papers.

"That's  perfect  Rich!  I  know  Herb  said  he  wants  country  and  pop  on  the  record  to  have  a  chance  as  a  crossover  artist,"  I  responded  putting  on  headphones.  

"Ok  lets  start  with  Butterflies.  A  one ,  two,  one  two  three,"  Richard  counted  off.

I  sang  the  first  chorus  as  I  thought  sounded  good  and  followed  Rich's  directions.  Karen  was  on  drums  for   this  song. 

This  pattern  went  on  for  most  of  the  morning  for  the  songs. 

It  was  now  about  1pm  so  we  broke  our  session  to  go  get  some  lunch.

Me  and  Karen  went  one  way  and  got  In N  Out  Burger.     We  both  wanted  a  good  burger  and  milkshake.

We  sat  and  ate  in  the  parking  lot  and  talked  a  bit.

"How  do  you  think  I'm  doing  Karen?  Am  I  doing  as  good  as  we  do  for  the  Carpenters?"  I  asked  her.

"Your  doing  great  kid.  This  is  your  big  break  you've  been  wanting.  I  think  the  Butterflies  song  should  be  the  single  but  Herb  might  have  a  different   opinon,"  she  said  smiling  in  my  direction.

"Awh  thanks  KC.  I  needed  to  hear  that.  You  know  I'm  a  perfectionist,"  I  told  her  sipping  my  milkshake.

"You  have  had  practice  girl  so  you  are   doing  better than first  time  artists,"  Karen  said  pulling  out  of  the  parking  lot  and  driving  back  to  A&M  Records.

"Practice  makes  perfect  I  suppose,"  I  said  laughing.

When  we  got  back  to  the  studio  parking  lot,  a  familiar  figure  was  standing  where  my  car  was  parked.  

Karen  parallel  parked  next  to  my  car  where  Andy  was  waiting  patiently.  

"Hi  darling,  I  wanted  to  come  surprise  you," Andy  said  handing  me  a  dozen  roses.

I  got  the  biggest  smile  on  my  face.

"You  always  know  how  to  be  top  tiar  romanctic  huh,"  I  said  kissing  his  soft  lips.

"Well  of  course  darling.  I  got  to  support  my  darling  whatever  she  does,"  he  said   while  wrapping  his  arms  around  me.

"Were  finishing  up  today's  session  come  in  with  me.  I  could  use  my  cheer  captain  in  the  studio  with  me,"  I  said  grabbing  his  hand.

"I'm  so  proud  of  darling,"  Andy  whispered  in  my  ear  as  we  walked  back  into  the  studio.

Richard  wasn't  back  yet   so  we  couldn't  start  the  last  part  of  Suddenly.  Ironic  Andy  showed  up  for   this  song.  

"So  what  were  you  doing  before  lunch  darling?" Andy   asked  curiously.

"We  were  recording   Suddenly.  We  were  finishing  some  overdubbing,"  I  took  him  to  the  control  room  where  I  had  the  sound  guy  play  back  what  I  had  already  done.

"Wow  darling  that's  incredible!"  Andy   said  breathtaken.

"Thanks  love,"  I  said  kissing  his  cheek.

Just  about  this  time,  Richard  walked  in  and  told  me  he  was  ready  to  contiune.

"Just  a  few  more  hours  then  we  can  cuddle,"  Andy  whispered  in  my  ear.

I  giggled  and  headed  back  out  to  the  studio.