Chapter 9 Undercover

*Late  July  1978*

(Y/N)   has    taken  the  world  by  storm  now.   Her  new  life  in  an  old-world  has  surpassed  all  her   hopes  and  dreams.   She  is  happily  living  her  life  as  best  as  she  can.

(Y/N)'s  POV:

Today    I   was   finally   going  on  a  shopping  spree  for  new  clothes.   I  stopped  at  Kmart,  Judy's,   and  a  local  boutique. Me  and  Andy  had  a  lazy  morning  before  meeting  back  up  with  Karen  later  on  in  the  day. We  ate  breakfast  in  bed,  watched  some  TV  and  cuddles.    I'm  letting  go  of  all  my  fears  and  living  it  up.     Me  and    Karen    were  going  to   get  a  manicure  and  get  lunch  afterwards.  

We  got to  the  nail  salon  in  Donwey  and  headed  inside.  Karen  was  already  browsing  the  colors.  We  were  getting  ready  for  a two-week gig  in  Las  Vegas.

"Hey  (Y/N),  what  color  are  you  thinking  about  getting?"  Karen  asked.   

"Honestly,  I   want  something  easy  to  maintain  like  black  or  white,"  I  replied  laughing.

"Good  thinking,  I  was  thinking  of  getting  red!"  KC  responded  excitedly.  

The  funny  thing  was  she  was  wearing  a  red  pantsuit.  

"Red  is  definitely  your  color  Karen!"  I  sheepishly  replied.

As  the  nail  tech  escorted  us  to  our  seats,   the   other  clients  waiting  for  their  nails to dry  exclaimed  out loud, "It's  the  ladies  from  the  Carpenters!"  

This  was  the  first  time  in  public  I  was  recognized  as  "famous"  from  my  landing  to  this  strange  universe.  

"Hi  there.  It's  so  nice  to  run  into  you  guys,"  Karen  said  a  bit  tired.   

I  could  tell  she  wasn't  exactly  thrilled  to  not  be  able  to  go  places  in  peace.  I  know  it's  important  for  us  to  appease  the  fan  base  but  we  are  human  too.

"Hello  there!"  I  said  as  a  little  girl  around  the  age  of  7  grabbed  me  by  my  leg.

"Hwello  it's  so  nice  to  meet  you.  You  and   Karen  are  like  pwincesses  to  me  and  my  mom,"  the  little  girl  says  while  pointing  at  her  mom.

"Can  you  ask  your  mom  if  she  has  some  pen  and  paper?  I  would  love  to  write  you  both  a  note  and  sign  it  so  you  can  remember  this  moment  forever,"   I  ask  her  quitely.

The  little  girl  runs  back  to  her  mom  and  get  the  pen  and  paper.

"Here  you  go  Miss. (Y/N).  Can  you  sign  it  to   to  Kimberely  and  Judy?  I'm  Judy  by  the  way,"  she  states.

Me   and  Karen  sign  the  paper  before  we  sit  down  to   get  our  manicures.  The  little  girl  runs  back  to  her  mom  happily.

I  ended  up  getting   my  nails  done   in   a  white  shade.   If  I  was  going  to  be  away  from  Downey  for  two  full  weeks,  I  had  to  have  a  color  I  could  easily  match.  

There  was  a  costume  store  next  door.  Me  and  Karen  both   thought  the  exact  thing.  

"We  need  to  get  wigs  and  glasses  for  lunch,"  we  said  in  unison.  

We  walked  in  looking  for  something  quick  to  arrive  at  our  reservation  for  lunch.  

I  grabbed  a  black,  short  wig  and  pink  sunglasses.  Karen  grabbed  the  opposite:  pink  wig  and  black  sunglasses.   We  ran  to  the  checkout   and  headed  to   Karen's  car  to  put  on  our  new  ensemble.  

Karen  and  I  headed  out  to  the  cute  restaurant  down  the  street.   

"You know (Y/N), it'll be fine. I'm sure he'll be able to come visit a few days during our stay," Karen said  while  putting  on  her  wig  cap.   

I  asked  Karen  to  be  there  when  I  told  Andy  we  would  be  gone  for  two  weeks.  We  hadn't   been  apart  this  long  since  me  arriving  here.  

"I'm  sure  to  KC,"  I   said  while  adjusting  the wig bangs, " but, this  is  the  first  serious  relationship  I've  been  in and  don't  know   how  to  approach  it."

Karen  turned  the  car  on,  "You'll  be  fine  (Y/N).  Now  we  need  to  think  of  fake  names  to  go  by."

I  pondered  for  a  moment,  "Janet  and   Tina!"

"Hello  Janet,"  Karen  said  smirking  while  driving  to  the  restaurant. 

We  parked   and  headed  inside.    The  waiter  took  us  back    to  where   our  favorite  table  was  reserved  at.  

Andy  soon  joined  but  was  taken  back  when  he  came  and  sat  down.  

"Ello  Johnny,  I'm  Janet,"  I  said  with  my  best  Australian  accent.

"Top  of  the  evening  to  ya  Johnny,"  Karen  copying  my  actions.

He  started  laughing,  " (Y/N),  you  are  crazy!"

I  chuckled  and  explained  to  him  why  we  were  dressed  the  way  we  were.

"Long  story   short  love,    me  and  Karen  got  recognized  and  we  decided  to  go  undercover,"  I  said.

"It's  not  comfortable  when  little  girls  hold  on  to  your  leg  while  getting  your  nails  done,"  Karen  added  in.  

Andy  rolled  his  eyes,  "You  are  learning  new  techniques  I  see." 

We     ordered  our  food  and  then  Karen  gave  me  the  look.

"Uh  Andy,  there's  something  I  need  to  tell you,"  I  started  softly. 

Andy's  eyes  go  big, "Are  you   breaking  up  with  me  love?"

I  shook  my  head  agressively  and  grabbed  his  hand, "No  love!  I  have  to  tell  you.  I'm  going  to  be  gone  for  two  weeks  in  Las  Vegas. "

Andy's  eye's  got  sad,  "Oh  love   you  had  me  worried.  Don't  worry,  I'll  take  some  days  off   love  to  come  see  you.  It'll  be  ok.  I  can  put  my  recording  days  off."  

I  underestimated  how  Andy  would  react.  We  continued  our  lunch  with  small  talk.  Everything  ended  up  being  ok.  

Authors  Note:

So  how  is  everyone   liking  this  story?   Let  me  know  in  the  comments  below  of  anything  you  guys  might  want  to  see  in  upcoming  chapters!  Stay  safe  <3