Chapter 14 Adventures and Burns

*middle  of   January  1979*

(Y/N)  is   becoming  more  independent  from  the  Carpenters.  She's  making  her  own  name  for  herself.  Andy   and  her  are  enjoying  their  life  in California.

(Y/N)'s  POV:

I  called  Karen  today  to  check  up  on  her  and  see  how  she  was  doing.  Her  letters  were  saying  she  wasn't  feeling  too  good.  She  was  home  sick.   I  had  two  ideas:  to  send  her  a  package  of  goodies  or  fly  out  to  New  York  myself. 

"(Y/N),  I  need  to  see  you!  It's  been  too  long.  I  need  a  day  to  hang  out  with  you,"  Karen  said  with  a  monotone.  

"I  know  KC.  I'm   sorry  girl.  I've  been  busy  with  interviews  and  such,"  I  replied  back.  

"If  you  could  (Y/N)  come  out  pleaseeeeeee," Karen  begged.

"Maybe  ok?  I'll  see  if   me  and  Andy  can  come  fly  out  a  few  days,"  I  told  her  calmly,  trying  to  reassure  her.  

I  wasn't   going  to  tell  her   I  was  already  planning  on  flying  out  to  New  York.  I  wanted  to  surprise  Karen.  From  what  I  know  from   the   future,   Karen  needed  that  one  cheerleader.

Andy  comes  walking into the  room.

"Hi  darling,"  Andy  greets  me  and  comes  up  and  kisses  my   face  all  over.

"Hi,"  I  whispered  since  I  was  still  on  the  phone  with  Karen.

"Is  it  Karen?"  Andy  whispered.

"Yes,"  I  mouthed  back.

Karen  and  I  carried  on.  She  told  me  details  of  her  album.   I  had  to  pretend  because  coming  from  the  future,  I  listened  to  it  thousands  of  times  already.

"I'm  doing   some  disco  songs.   Phil  really  liked  this  one  song,  My  Body  Keeps  Changing  My  Mind.  I  just  don't  know  if  its  too  mature  for  me,"  Karen  said  a  bit  worried.

"KC,  this  is  your  chance  to  be  independent  and  create  a  name  for  yourself  outside  of  the  duo.  I'm  sure  you  are  killing  it  on  all  the  songs,"  I  told  her  confidently.

"Well  I  wish  you'd  come  out  here  so  you  could  hear  them  yourself,"  Karen  said  persuasively. 

"KC,  you  aren't  making  my  mind  up  any  faster,"  I  said  with  a  laugh.

"I  know  haha,  it's  just  I  need  my   little  sister!"  Karen  said.

Andy  brings  me  a  glass  of  Diet  Coke.  He  could  read  my  mind  what  I  was  craving.  

"Darling,  don't  forget  I  have   to  go  rehearse  for  George Burns's 100th  Birthday  Taping  today.  I  want  you  to  come  with  me,"  Andy  whispers.

I  totally  spaced  it  out  because  of  Karen.  

"KC,  I  hate  cutting  this  short,  but  me  and  Andy  have  to  go  to  his  rehearsal  for  George  Burns's  100th  Birthday,"  I  told  her  rather  fast. 

"Ok  (Y/N),  I'll  talk  to  you   soon.  Promise  me  you'll  at  least  think  about  flying  out?"  Karen  said .

"Yes  KC  I  promise,  take  care  ok?"  I  responded.

"Yes  (Y/N),  bye,"  Karen  said  with  a  whisper.

"Do  you  wanna  change  or  anything  darling  before  we  go?  I  don't  know  if  they  are  going  to  tape  anything."  Andy  asked  curiously.

I  went  and  looked  at  my  makeup  and  my  outfit.  The  fact  I'd  most  likely  be  meeting  George  Burns,  Goldie  Hawn,  heck  even  the  Dean  Martin.  I  wanted  to  dress  to  impress,  even  though  this  is  only  the  reheresal.

I  put  on  a  red  gingham  printed  dress  with  a  pair  of  black  mary janes.  

"How  do  I  look  darling?"  I  asked  Andy,  while  giving  a  spin  of  my  outfit.

"You  look  smashing  darling,"  Andy  said  while  grabbing  my  hand. 

"Thanks  love,  now  lets  go,"  I  told  him.

*in  the  car*

I  wanted  to  hypothesize   to  Andy  about  going   to  New  York.  Whether  he  comes  with  me  or  I  go  by  myself,  I  wanted  to  know  his  opinon.  

"Hey  Andy,   I  uh,  have  a  question  for  you,"  I  mumbled  while  staring  out  the  window.  

"What's  up, love?"  Andy  said  while  giving  my  hand  a  reassuring  squeeze.

"Well ,  I  wanted  to  see  if  your  schedule  allows  it,  uh,  we  could  fly  out  to  New  York  to  surprise  Karen,"  I  asked  while  playing  with  the  ring  on  his  finger. 

"That's  a  wonderful  idea  darling.  I'll  have  to  see  what  other  appearances  and  recording  I  might  be  doing  before  I  can  commit.  If  not,  you  should  fly  out  to  see  her  darling.  I'm  sure  she  misses  you,"  Andy  said.

"I  don't  know  why  I  was  worried  asking  you  love.  But  ok  love,  we  can  talk  about  it  later  when  we  get  home,"  I  said  squeezing  his  hand  as  he    drove.  

*in  the  rehearsal* 

Andy  checked  into   the  rehearsal  while  I  wondered  in  the  back  by  the  refreshment  table  and  watched  Andy  try  on  the  outfit  he  would  wear  for  the  show.  

When  I  turned  around  to  grab  a  water,  I  touched  hands  with  someone.  

"Young  lady,  you  can  have  that  water.  I  got  another  100  years  to  live,"  a  older  man  with a  cigar  spoke.  

"Oh  no  go  right  ahead.  I  can  grab  another  one,"  I  told  him  apolgetically.  

I  suddenly  was  starstruck.  The  George  Burns  was  in  my  presences.

"You  have  good  taste.  Water  is  the  best   medicine.  I'm  83 years  young,"  Burns  told  me  laughing.

"Mr. Burns,   it's  an  honor  sharing  this  water  wisdom  with  you,"  I  said  laughing.

Just  then  Andy  comes  over  to  check  in  on  me.  

"How's  it  going  darling?"  Andy  asks  kissing  my  cheek.

"It's  going  great.  I  made  a  new  friend  I  said,"  winking  in  George's  direction.  

"Mr.  Gibb,  you  have  a  great  taste  not  only  in  music,  but  a  young  lady  with  a  great  sense  of  humor,"  George  says  walking  towards  the  stage  for  rehersal.

"By  the  way  Miss  uh,"  George  said.

"It's  (Y/N)  Mr.  Burns,"  I  said  quickly. 

"(Y/N),  it's  been  a  pleasure  meeting  you.  Take  care,"  he  said  shaking  my  hand.

"Woah  darling,  do  I  have  some  competition?"  Andy  said  with  a  laugh.

"Oh  yeah,  totally  love,"  I  said  laughing  while  finally  taking  a  sip  of  my  water.  I  couldn't  wait  to  tell  Karen  this  story  when  we  got  to  New  York.