Chapter 70 Coffee and Remixes

*late May 1980*

(Y/N)  is  at  the  studio  listening  to  her  album  playback.  Andy and  Karen  came  to  support  her.  

(Y/N)'s  POV:

Today  is  the  first  playback  of  my  album.  I  am  nervous  and  excited  all  at  the  same  time.  Andy  and  Karen  volunteered  to  come  to  the  remix  playback.

I  got  up  bright  and  early  and  headed  into  the  studio  before  anyone  else  got  there.  I  wanted  to  see  the  prototype  vinyl  sleeves  for  the  album  and  to  see  if  the   track  listing  was  correct.

Side  One  of  my  album  consisted  of:

1). Wind of Change

2). Reasons to Be Happy  (duet with Andy)

3). Wildflowers

4). Too Late to  Turn  Back

5). Suddenly (Bee  Gees  cover)

6). Pink Roses

Side Two  of  my  album  was  the  country/crossover  songs:

7).  Happy

8). I'm  Just  Me  (cover  of  Charley  Pride's  song).

9).  Blue  Skies

10).  Someone  I  Used  To  Be

11).  Coffee  Cups  (a  song  I  wrote  when  I  flew  in  to  surprise  Andy  around  our  engagement)

12).  Born  To  Be  Me

Each  of  the  songs  I  wrote  came  together  from  the  many  experiences   I've  had  in  this  world.  Let  me  say,  Herb  was  very  impressed  I  could  write  such  songs  but  it  wouldn't  have  been  as  easy  without  the  craziness  I've  felt.  The  only  stipulation  Herb  and  A&M  wanted  was  to  have  2  songs  that  were  written  by  other  artists  at  the  time.  I  chose  Suddenly  by  the  Bee  Gees  because  it  was  one  of  their  older  pieces  of  material.  I  also  chose  a  Charley  Pride  song  which  was  I'm  Just  Me  because  that's  exactly  it,  I  am  just  me.

Herb  came  in,  making  me  come  out  of  my  thoughts.

"Hey  (Y/N).  How's  it  going?"  he  asked.

"I'm  good  Herb.  Wow  the  album  cover  looks  amazing,"  I  told  him  reading  over  it  once  more.

"The  A&M  cover  artists  worked  really  hard.  These  photos  were  our  personal  favorites  too  and  it  looks  great  with  the  album  title  Just  Being  Me,"  Herb  told  me.

We  heard  a  knock  and  saw  Andy  and  Karen  at   the  door  with  Richard.  Sometimes  I  forget  Richard  and  Karen  co-produced  my  album.

I  went  and  greeted  them.

"Hi  honey,"  I  greeted  Andy.  

He  handed  me   a  travel  mug  with  coffee.

"Ello  darling,  so  proud  of  you,"  Andy  said  kissing  my  cheek.

"GIRL  I'M  SO  STOKED,"  Karen  greeted  excitedly.

"Hello  (Y/N)," Richard  said  mumbled.

"Do  you  want  to  start  the  playback  (Y/N)?"  Herb  asked.

"Yes  everyone  who  is  important  in  this  process  is  here  now,"  I  said  smiling.

"Ok  great.  Rich  and  Karen,  since  you  are  co-producers  of  the  album  go  ahead  and  do  your  thing,"  Herb  instructed.

"Ok  awesome  (Y/N)  I  am  so  stoked  for  you!"  Karen  said  heading  to  play  the  tape.

"I'm  so  proud  of  you  darling.  Hopefully  you  like  the  coffee,"  Andy  whispered  in  my  ear.

"Thanks  love.  Your  support  means  a  lot,"  I  told  him  and  squeezed  his  hand.

Karen  hit  play  on  the  tape  and  everyone  went  slient.

I  still  could  not  believe  this  was  me.  The  (Y/N)  (L/N)  from  2021  made  it  big  in  1980.

I  was  incredibly  proud  of  how  the  album  was  sounding  as  I  did  not  have  any  actual  music  training.  What  I  did  was  just  sing  along  to  my  favorite   Carpenters  or  ABBA  songs  to  train  my  voice  I  suppose. We  were  only  on  track  3  but  it  was  getting  better.

"Wow  (Y/N)  Wildflowers  sounds  incredible,"  Karen  told  me.

"Thanks, KC.  It  was  actually  one  of  my  least  favorites  to  record  because  of  the  higher  vocal  range  but  it  came  together,"  I  said  smiling.

"You  did  pretty  fabulous  on  your  first  album  (Y/N),"  Herb  told  me. 

"Thanks, Herb,"  I  said  smiling.

The  album  kept  playing  on  and  I  was  just  completely  lost  in  my  music. 

The  playback  was  over  and  I  was  just  looking  at  everyone.

"Darling   I  have  to  say  I  am  incredibly  proud  of  you.  You  are  going   so  many  places.  I  really  liked  Wildflowers  and  I  am  biased,  our  duet,"  Andy  said  locking   eyes  with  me.

"I  really  like  the  diversity  we  got  for  your  album,"  Richard  told  me.

"(Y/N)  I'm  just  so  proud  of  you,  you  are  incredible  and  I  can't  wait  for  your  album  to  drop  so  I  can  buy  a  million  copies,"  Karen  said  smiling.

"Thank  you  guys  so  much.  Your  kind  words  mean  a  lot.  I  can't  believe  my  album  is  finished,"  I  told  them.

"Let's  open  some  champagne  (Y/N)  to  celebrate,"   Herb  said  pulling  out  a  bottle  and  some  glasses.

Let's  just  say,  I'm  glad  this  whole  siutation  wasn't  just  a  dream.