Story 16

"Idiot!"

"Jerk."

"Nobody."

These were only a few of the many names others in high school would call me.

I was a new girl that was Native American, and they would make fun of me.

"Go back to your reservation where you belong!"

"Ew, it's like your a homeless person! Living in the desert in the open!"

"Sorry, you can't come to the party because well, you're poor."

My family was struggling for money, but I wasn't born on a reservation. The teasing continued and I tried to ignore it. When others wanted it to rain, they gathered around me and made me rain dance; but I would never really do it.

So then they would throw rocks and sand at me. After, I'd go home with cuts on my arms and legs. People would also make fun of my waist-long hair. They would often sneak behind me and pull on it so that I would jerk backwards and fall.

Some would call me Brownie, because of my skin color and with my dark hair, it was like the dark frosting in an actual brownie.

None of the teachers knew, because this all happened in the least crowded hallways of school.

But this was the worst time of all:

Our school took a field trip to learn about the Native Americans. When we got there, these three girls (that literally no one likes) just stepped over the line.

"I wonder," Blonde 1 said really loudly while the teachers and tour guide were off doing checking the map. "If [my name] would rain dance, maybe she would get us free tickets to the reservation."

Everyone laughed while some frowned.

"Yeah," sneered Brunette 1. "The teachers only took us here to dump you off at the reservation."

"Because you we're failing all of your classes because your brain got fried from being the sun all the time. That's only if you were REALLY too poor to afford a tee-pee tent," Brunette 2 pipped in.

More laughter, and more frowns, but no one stood up for me.

My face was burning with embarrassment and anger. This was ENOUGH!

"I'm sorry dear," I said, acting all sweet. "But was I suppose to be offended? The only thing offending is your FACE!"

Everyone "ooooh"ed and laughed. I don't know why they were suddenly sticking up for me. But it gave me a boost of confidence.

"And [Blonde 1's name], I guess the dumb-blonde stereotype DOES run in your family. I mean, your brain must feel as good as new, seeing that you never use it."

Everyone hooted and laughed out loud some more. The three mean girls turned bright red.

"At least MY race isn't so poor that we have to have the GOVERNMENT save us some space! AND we don't go naked everywhere and paint ourselves with berries!" Blonde 1 screamed at me.

Everyone laughed again but this time, I wanted it cause physical pain.

I marched up to Blonde 1 and slapped her across the face as hard as I could. Everyone gasped and Blonde 1 started tearing up.

But I wasn't done.

I grabbed her by her long blonde hair and started swinging her around. She stumbled as she swung around me, and I finally let her go as she flew in her two other friends.

"Maybe if you didn't use extensions, I won't have let go," I drawled.

Silence.

Then cheers.

Yeah, I got a one week suspension, but right after that, I got tons of respect.