Submission 875

When I was young, elementary aged, I went to a private school. This private school's population of students consisted of mostly christians. That is why I stood out. I was (I believe) the only "non religious" person at the school. One of the boys at my school decided that he hated me. For what reason? Because I was different. I wasn't like anyone else. I was a change in his unchanged life. I was an imperfection that marred his perfection. So he bullied me. His methods varied day to day. Some days, he spread rumors. Others he hit me. One day(close to christmas) my classmates were discussing the presents they would get. I was sitting to the side and reading. One of the girls turned to me and asked what I wanted and what I thought I would get. I didn't think it was such a big secret, so I simply told the truth, I don't celebrate Christmas. Later I found out that I should of kept my mouth shut. During lunch, the teachers had left us in the room and got their lunches. As soon as the teachers left, the bully cornered me. First he pushed me down. Then he pointed at me and started yelling that i misbehaved and that I was a horrible child and that I didn't deserve to live. He said that because I was so terrible, God didn't allow me to celebrate Christmas and get presents like all the "good little children". He said that he was doing me a favor, punishing me so God wouldn't have to. Then he began to hit me. He pushed me against the table, punched my stomach, bruised my arms and did much more.

But the worst part was that all of my classmates were still there. They all just sat and watched like this was some sort of horrific spectacle. Some had bored looks, some looked a little sick, but a few were smiling like they enjoyed my pain. One of the boys(currently my best friend) stood up and ran over to me, stopping me from continuing to be the human punching bag. He distracted the bully while his friend caled for the teacher. A Moment later the boy stepped away and the bully punched me again. I fell against the table and wondered why everyone hated me. Then i heard a gasp and realized what the two boys had done for me. The bully was caught and he got in trouble, and the two boys took me into their inner circle. I was still bullied, for not being a christian, for being a nerd, for reading too much. But it no longer mattered. The two boys accepted me for who I was and had stayed with me till the end.

ADVICE: All you people out there who are shamed for your lifestyle choices and bullied for your hobbies, you are special. And believe me when I say I thought I would have no friends forever. But listen, it gets worse before it gets better. All you have to do is bypass those rough patches and don't let anything drag you down.

~ "If someone tries to pull you down, it only means you are above them."

-Anonymous