Submission 855

I was bullied throughout elementary and middle school, and still now, in high school. But through self harm, eating disorders, mental illness, and everything that comes with the bullying..what bothers me the most is the sexual assault.

My dad's stepbrother was accused, and I was never supposed to be alone with him, so I wasn't. But one day, I was outside with headphones in just thinking. Keep in mind he lives across the street from my dad. He walks up behind me, and I didn't notice, because of my music. Next thing I know, there's one hand over my mouth, while his other arm carries me back across the street kicking and fighting to get loose. But I couldn't..I'm not gonna go into detail from here, but it was the longest couple hours of my life.

Where did my dad think I was? Next door at my Aunts or at my friends house down the road. In his neighborhood everyone knows everyone, but I was closest to those two.

I was ashamed, so I wouldn't tell anyone..until one of my best friends told me she lost her virginity in eighth grade, and it slipped out that I'm not a virgin either, and I had to explain. I told her no one knew, and she and one of our other friends tried their hardest to convince me.

When they couldn't, they went to a teacher at school, one they trusted. They only wanted to help, but I didn't realize that at the time. I was upset, enough that I stopped talking to them for a while. Until I realized what they were doing.

After being called to the office a few times to talk to our SRO (student resource officer), the assistant principal, and DHS workers people started to talk. They found out why I kept getting called to the office, and it spread around the while school. I had to convince everyone it was just a rumor, even if it wasn't.

      That was one of the hardest times in my life. The shame, embarrassment, rumors. It hurt. But in the end, I'm glad everything was taken care of.

ADVICE: Don't keep this kind of stuff to yourself. Go to someone you trust as soon as it happens, because the longer you hold it in, the now it hurts you. Get it out and get justice for yourself. Once it's out, you are relieved, I promise. The shame and embarrassment goes away, because you stop blaming yourself. It's a lot to take on, but it's harder if you try to do it on your own. Tell your parents or the police or even your guidance counselor, just get it out and to the police somehow . Get it taken care of.

Most importantly: DON'T BLAME YOURSELF, IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.